Feeding Turkey Rations to CX

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by doodledo, Jul 25, 2007.

1. doodledo

doodledo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    My birds are ready for slaughter in 2 weeks. But I ran out of feed from countryside naturals (shipping killed me) and I dont want to order form there again. No one around me has broiler feed. The feed meal told me to feed turkey rations but it has animal by products in and its by Purina. Any thoughts?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Personally.....I wouldnt feed them that. mmmm...let me think....2 weeks to go hu?? Can you get a bag of chick grower/finisher? Un medicated is the key. Im not sure if you can feed them later crumbles or not. Corn would be too hot for them. Lets see what others have to say.

3. doodledo

doodledo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Thanks I am goin to repost in feeding time and see if I get a better response.

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Well, I would give them the turkey ration. It isn't much different than the broiler ration and we gave it to our birds with NO ill effects. It is the level of protein that you are after. You want at least 22% and that is what you will get in Turkey ration. That is why he told you to use that instead of regular chick feed. Regular chick feed is way to low in protein and they need the extra. Personally I don't think it matters much whether it is medicated or unmedicated. You may not have a choice. Since you went with a natural one before you will probably want an unmedicated feed. Have you tried TSC to see what they have? We fed our birds the Purina Showchow Broiler feed as well as the turkey feed. Just finished the last one yesturday and wish we had grown more.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I personally just use regular medicated starter grower for my cornish x's and they do fine and I've had no ill effects. If you do feed medicated, make sure it is the no withdrawl time one. I say go with the turkey feed if you want that high protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by