Feeding up an underweight pony? Help?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chick_a_dee, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    We're getting a pony this week and she's underweight, she was a rescue and is being fed sweetfeed and hay (not sure how much sweetfeed) to fatten her up, she's 14hh and is a Quarter Horse X Welsh Pony, what am I looking at to get her fattened up? ...

2. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    How thin is she? Has she been on a deworming schedule? How old is she?

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Calf mana will put weight on a pony and horse better than anything Ive tried. Also probaly wouldnt hurt to worm her. We worm all new horses or ponies we get, unless the previous owner can tell you for sure when the last time she was wormed. [​IMG]

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    The biggest thing is to take it slow. How old is she? Has she been under vet care? Do you know about a worming schedule?

I have heard many people say that beetpulp is a great way to help with adding weight to a horse. I would only feed it after soaking it as the pellets expand and there is the potential for problems when fed dry.

I have used Equine Senior for my old boy to put weight on him, it worked great. I had him on a grass/alfalfa hay mix at the same time.

Also, she will need to be worked out physically but you need to take that slow and build up her muscles over time.

Good luck.

5. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    She's approx. 8 years old, I'm assuming she was on a schedule, she was dewormed last week but she IS a rescue pony (i.e. she was a perfectly good, well trained, healthy pony that wound up at the meat auction), she's coming from a local rescue stable. I couldn't tell you how underweight she is, she's got a good thick coat on her but you can see her ribs a bit.

[​IMG]

This is her...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  6. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    A vet visit for a teeth inspection and possible floating and then a limited amount of a good feed, free choice hay, and fresh water. It will take time to improve the horses body condition....I've said this before.... Remember the condition of a horse won't change over night except for the worse.

see---->
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=122976

7. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:Yep, beetpulp is an option, she'll be worked out after she's gained some of the weight back and starting small on the ground then working back up to the saddle (she's trained, we think she is a former kids pony or schooling pony... )

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Shes not to bad under wait, I would just feed her hay, and a higher protien horse feed. She should fatten fairly quick.

9. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    She's very pretty. Is it just the angle of the picture or does she stand leaning forward? She does look a bit thin. But not terribly.

10. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:She's leaning over the fence to visit the others lol, she had really bad feet when she arrived at the auction, and the farrier trimmed a good 2 or 3 inches off the outsides of her front feet, so she was developing slippers and is a little toed out but the farrier said with foot maintenance she should go back to normal pretty soon. Our big guy had worse feet when we got him, like dishes huge feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by