Feeding various ages in one coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by okhippie, Oct 28, 2011.

1. okhippie

okhippie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Keystone Dam
    I have 2 older hens about 28 weeks old, still not laying.
    One that is about 19 weeks old, not laying.
    And three that are 13 weeks old.

They have all been on the grower crumbles with some scratch and various scraps of vegetables.

I am ready to give the older ones the layer feed and shell--either ground eggshell or oyster. But I read that it is dangerous for the younger ones to get the calcium while growing. And I heard that its best not to give the layers the medicated grower feed.

I am not sure how to proceed with feeding them, especially since I'd like to get some eggs coming in before it gets too cold around here.

Any suggestions for this new chicken gal?? Thanks in advance, I will check back as soon as I can. [​IMG]

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi okhippie,

There is a type of feed that goes by the name 'flock raiser'. You can get some at TSC (tractor supply co.) and other places as well. It has higher protein than most layer feeds which I think go at about 16%) Flock raiser is 18% protein. It isn't medicated as a rule, and it doesn't have the added calcium, so the whole flock can eat it. Since you can add oyster shells 'free choice'. Your pullets ready-to-lay can get all the calcium that they need, and the smaller ones can turn up their beaks and say no thanks to the calcium.

3. okhippie

Jun 28, 2011
    Keystone Dam
    AWESOME!!! Thanks for the reply--TSC is my new favorite place, so glad I can keep this simple!! Much appreciated. Jammie

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No need to start with the layer formula. Just as the previous poster says, feed them Raiser, or Grower, or Starter, but no Layer. Offer the hens shells on the side, you'll be just fine. The little ones won't like care to pick at the shells very much at all.

There' nothing magical about layer formula. It is regular feed with the calcium boosted for egg shells, that's the only real difference.

5. okhippie

Jun 28, 2011
    Keystone Dam
    Gotcha-
    I just grabbed layer at atwoods cuz I didnt see anything else besides it and the starter/grower combo feed they've been on since I got them. I will just ahng on to the layer feed til all birds are grown, and grab the Raiser once this last bag of starter/grower is gone. I've started mixing a little scratch in with their feed just for variety. I am really enjoying these birds, its the first time I've ever had chickens and I think we are making a pretty good go of it.
    The older ones are 28 weeks, any thoughts about why they wouldn't be laying yet?

Thanks again!! Jammie

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, Flock Raiser works great for mixed age birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by