Feeding very small bantam chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by columbiacritter, Jan 28, 2009.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I'm getting 25 Japanese bantam chicks. These guys are so small can they eat normal chick crumbles or should I be putting their food in the blender?

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    They'll do just find with starter crumbles. Add a little dirt with the chicks too. They will not pick at each other.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Ditto. [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They should do fine with the crumbles, but they will scratch around to get the smaller pieces. It wouldn't hurt to crush the crumbles up smaller though, if you are worried they won't eat.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

When I had bantams I ran the crumble through a coffee grinder so it was easier for them to eat the first few days.

6. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I send mine through a food processor. Just for a second, though.

7. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    When I have very small chicks, I put some chick starter in a ziplock and use a rolling pin on it a few times. Don't grind it to dust, just make the crumbles a little smaller. You should only have to do this for a few days till they get a little bigger. [​IMG]

Lisa

8. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I had a couple that I had to make mash for, just added warm water to the starter and they loved it.

Did that the first couple of weeks. My lil showgirl needed it, and so did my D'Uccle and Serama's.

I almost lost my little showgirl, as it LOOKED like she was eating, she was beaking the food, but apparently she just was too small to eat it.

Never hurts to feed them mash at first, altho they resent it when they have to go to dry food in a couple weeks. [​IMG]

9. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    They should be fine, but i have put it through my corn grinder for quail.

10. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been putting my crumbles in the Magic Bullet for my chicks...just a couple seconds. When I first got my 2 Silkies, I noticed they would pick up the crumbles and then drop them because they were too big to eat, so I started grinding them a little bit...it's been a week and I'm still grinding. My babies are spoiled...LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by