Feeding Walnuts?

I don't see why they wouldn't eat the nut, but I don't know if the shell would work very well as grit even if they are hard to us. They are probably still not as hard as granite grit.

where does one get granite grit? And how do I get more phospherous into my chickens diet. deb.

You should be able to pick up grit from any feed store. It comes in different sizes, depending on the ages of your birds.

I don't give mine grit, as they spend most of their day in a run that's down to bare dirt and rocks, or free-ranging (under supervision). I live on granite ledge. They get plenty of it out there!

Phosphorus? No idea.

Our chickens used to love to eat the pecans that got smashed in the driveway. I don't imagine walnuts would be that much different.

Rufus

I just noticed the question about husks. ARose4Heaven, you're talking about the fleshy bits that surround the nut itself, right? The stuff that stains your fingers that awful brown when you touch it? I wonder if that's alright, come to think about it. Squirrels and chipmunks seem to eat it on my hickory nuts.

I don't think anything will eat the husks.

As far as staining the hands, I once had a job where we would cut open cotton bolls and count pink bollworms and other pest. Our fingers looked terrible. But an agronomist from India showed me that if you rub your hands with a raw cut potato it will take the stains off.

Rufus

Do not use any part of a black walnut except the nut meat. Black walnut trees have a high concentration of a toxin called juglone as well as tanins which poison many plants growing near the tree and can cause reactions in animals that have eaten some or even just housed on ground up parts from the tree. It's highly unlikely even a chicken would eat anything but the walnut meat.

Back
Top Bottom