Feeding & Watering chickens with "scissor beaks"

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lamiel, Aug 13, 2014.

1. lamiel

lamiel Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi - I am new to raising chickens and I rescued 2 black Araucana bantams with severe scissor beaks . At first they frantically jumped all over me and the food bowls I was giving them because the lady who had them did not realise they were unable to pick seed up from the ground very well and that they were actually starving. I now have them drinking from nipple waters under a bucket and have installed a small container with a gravity fed pipe in the corner for their pellets . They require depth in their feed to be able to scoop it up into their mouths. At first the food container I used was too large and they actually climbed into the container and scaped it out with their feet which wasted a lot of feed. I also cook them porridge and place this in a deep bowl with chopped greens which they are easily able to scoop out to eat. One of them has 5 toes so I am not sure where that comes from. When the weather warms up a bit more I will have to bath them because they have trouble preening themselves with their scissor beaks. They have now put on weight and I am hoping that they will lay soon. My other chickens (7 RIR's and a white/brown bitser) do not like them at all so I make sure that they free range separately from them.

2. lamiel

Jul 6, 2014
    I forgot to say that I am situated in western Victoria, Australia .

3. lamiel

Jul 6, 2014
    Does anyone have any more suggestions for me as to how to care for my scissor beaks ?
    They have put on weight and are much calmer now that they have sufficient food and water .

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Sounds like you are doing a good job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by