Feeding/watering my chickens.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CynthiaN, Mar 17, 2018.

1. CynthiaN

CynthiaN In the Brooder

Dec 10, 2017
    I'm very new to the world of chickens. I just bought a metal coop from a friend of my daughter and the 2 of us plan on building a run in the next few weeks (we rarely have a day off together). Then I plan on getting 4 chickens to start with. I'd like suggestions on how to make something to water/feed my chickens from stuff I might already have at home. Any suggestions?

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    If they're adult chickens (or at least past the chick phase) you can use something like a dog food dish, a pie plate, etc. They'll be prone to wanting to jump into it but that's about as simple a solution as you'll find. I feed my fermented feed in small dog bowls since they're easy to wash and small enough that the chickens don't wade in it.

For chicks, I would caution against using any plate/dish that's too deep, as they'll drown themselves, get themselves soaking wet, etc.

CynthiaN likes this.
  3. CynthiaN

CynthiaN In the Brooder

Dec 10, 2017
    I have one of those dog watering dispensers that none of my dogs like, the bowl is about an inch deep, does that sound like a safe depth for young but past the chick phase chickens?

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Once they get past the first few weeks the danger of drowning diminishes. If it's a concern at all, put some large pebbles in the bowl, it'll keep the water level more shallow.

CynthiaN likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: