Feeding & watering

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by meowzermix, Dec 24, 2016.

1. meowzermix

meowzermix New Egg

Dec 23, 2016
    Can anyone help me? I rescued a chicken laying in the street in my rural neighborhood on Thanksgiving.

2. meowzermix

meowzermix New Egg

Dec 23, 2016
    I thought it was a hen, but turned out to be a rooster. I'm running out of food and can't get to a feed store over the holidays cause of work.

3. meowzermix

meowzermix New Egg

Dec 23, 2016
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. meowzermix

meowzermix New Egg

Dec 23, 2016
    I'm not sure how this works, but if anyone can help with suggestions on what to feed him until the 28th of December would be greatly appreciated.

5. meowzermix

meowzermix New Egg

Dec 23, 2016
    My neighbors were going to let it get mauled by dogs.

6. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Hard boil some eggs and chunk them up with a fork or a pastry cutter. Make some oatmeal -- don't add fat, salt or sugar, just oatmeal. He can peck at unseasoned vegetables, but to be safe, stay away from potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplants. Nothing with salt, sugar, chocolate, or onions. Cooked beans or rice are okay, but not dry beans or rice. Avoid avocado and dairy. Fruit is okay, but no citrus or apple seeds. Cooked meat -- including chicken -- is okay, but sparingly if there is a lot of seasoning on the meat. Chickens love meat so you could brown some hamburger -- no seasoning. If you're having turkey for Christmas dinner, give him the bones to pick clean.

It's not great for a steady diet, but it should hold you for a few days. Make sure he has plenty of fresh water.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by