1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Watermelon!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bamababes, Jul 11, 2008.

1. bamababes

bamababes New Egg

Jul 5, 2008
    Southwest Alabama
    I told my mother that I have been giving my 5 wk old chicks watermelon as a treat. She said my granny used to say they would get Sore Head from eating the green rine. Does anyone know what this is or if it is true? These are my first chickens since my childhood. Thanks for any info.

bamababes:[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have 6 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Barred Rocks, & 4 Brown Leg Horns

2. ronniega1

ronniega1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    vidalia ga
    I just gave my 6 month old ri reds silkies polish and turkeys a half of watermellon they love it....they do not eat the skin theyjavascript:insert_text('[​IMG]', '');
    [​IMG] just pick out the flesh....very refressing i would imagine in this heat....i love it tooo....lol ronnie

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chickens are outside right now eating a large piece of watermelon. As they usually do they will eat it down to the very outside piece of rind, leaving only the darkest green part. Mine have shown no ill-effects from it. Never heard of "sore head", but I'm thinking old wives tale. Perhaps a more experienced BYC member knows better.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Piffle! Give em some watermelon.

5. bamababes

bamababes New Egg

Jul 5, 2008
    Southwest Alabama
    Thanks for the help!!!!![​IMG]

Hey Davaroo, I agree with your quote but I'm for Rick & Bubba for President!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by