Feeding while molting

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dr1939, Nov 5, 2012.

1. dr1939

dr1939 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2012
    Do the chicken need anything different in their diet while molting. I am still feeding scratch and cracked corn.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What do you feed as their basic feed?

They should have higher protein while molting.

3. dr1939

dr1939 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2012
    I have been feeding them laying scratch and cracked corn.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Do you mean layer feed, pellets or crumbles? Scratch is a mix of whole grains. Laying feed is fine, but both scratch and corn have high fat and lower protein, so should be fed in limited(small ) quantities. Chickens need adequate protein in their diet to grow feathers, which, like hair and horns, are basically almost 100% protein.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I have never given them higher protein feed when they molt, but if you do give them higher protein feed than they don't eat as much!
    [​IMG]

6. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    I have been giving my bantams peanut hearts and BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) as treats along with their layer pellets ...it has worked to help them grow new feathers faster.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    This year I have been mixing Flock Raiser (20% Protein) with Game bird starter (30% protein) and they are growing their feathers in much faster. In the past I've just supplemented with high protein treats, but this seems to be working better. My flock usually gets Flockraiser anyway, because I almost always have babies in the flock.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Chickens will eat the same amount of feed if on a low protein feed or a high protein feed.

Chicken eat to fill there caloric needs, chickens that are fed a low calorie feed eats more than one on a high calorie feed.

Chris

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Chickens should have a minimum of 18% protein at molt, better would be a feed at or around 22% protein.
    Also your feed should have some sort of animal proteins and fats to help with the molt.

Chris

10. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    In a mixed flock (roosters, youngsters, molting hens, laying hens) would you still increase the protein?

I'm feeding 17% grower, and fermented grains (13.5%) now. They also get greens while foraging but not as many bugs now.

Maybe I should add some high protein "treats". My feed store also has turkey starter - I think its 25%.

Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by