Feeding white meal worms, OK FOR CHICKS?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TerryQui, Jun 17, 2011.

1. TerryQui

TerryQui Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    I got meal worms yesterday as I want to set up breeding them. I used to do this before, for ten years, when I raised Bearded dragons.
    Anyway, I love breeding the worms. It is part of the "farm" lol. And free food for my chickens.
    So last night I gave them 6 WHITE meal worms. Those are the ones that are in shed, so that they are not eating the crusty outer layer.
    However after someone suggested that it might not be good for this age to have them.
    They are a week old today.
    Tell me if you think it is ok or not, please? Should I add some sand to their aviary?
    Thanks. These two chicks are just so sweet and I am loving them.
    My silkie eggs arrive today or tomorrow and I am all armed up with my cleaned incubator and set to go. [​IMG]

Lovin Farming indoors chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. TerryQui

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    [​IMG] any bunny know?[​IMG]

3. TerryQui

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    :d:d:d

4. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
  5. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    It's probably fine to feed them small meal worms as long as they get grit. Some people thought that the meal worms might eat through the chick's tummies, but they won't. If anything, you can pinch off their heads first. I fed mine freeze dried meal worms, and they LOVED it.

6. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

They would be eating all kinds of bugs and worms right from the start if they were outside with a mama hen. Just give them some grit and let them enjoy the worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by