Feeding Whole Corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Three Generation, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Three Generation

Three Generation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Is it ok to feed whole kernal corn to chickens and ducks. Right know I mix cracked corn with thier layer feed. But was wondering if I could save some money and just use whole kernals instead. Thank you all very much

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I use whole corn all the time during the winter months to feed chickens and my ducks. I haven't ever had any problems heck even my kids piegons love it more then the wheat.

3. Bobby Joe

Bobby Joe Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2010
    tupelo,ms
    I wondered the same thing and checked with my feed store and the price difference was only .55 for a 50 pound bag. I do know they would be able to eat it, alot of people feed whole corn and I do to as a treat.

4. Three Generation

Three Generation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Thank you both for the quick response

5. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

ive noticed if i feed my hens whole kerrnel corn they just poop it out whole so it must run rite through there body fast and poop it out i crack mine i run it through a grain grinder works good if you wanna buy one

6. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    Mogli, do you feed your chickens grit? The birds should not be pooping out whole corn kernels. Grit allows the birds to grind up the tough parts of food they eat in their gizzards. it is not necessary if they are only eating processed feeds, but if you feed whole grains your chickens need grit.

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I feed it all the time along with whole milo, wheat, oats, and other grains...

no issues...

I stay away from cracked corn as it can lead to sour crop issues in pigeons..

8. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I feed whole corn since I cannot find organic corn any other way and like to give it to them to keep them warm in the winter.

9. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Great responses! My husband and I were just talking about this, as I plan to feed a whole (uncracked) seed mix to my chickens and the corn seems so much bigger than the other grains. It makes sense to me that it is healthier for them to eat it whole, as birds are supposed to eat whole seeds. I understand the logic of feeding cracked corn- it's the same reason people feed cracked corn (or corn at all) to cows- it makes them gain more. But since I'm not trying to raise fat chickens to sell per lb I think I'm going to stick with whole seeds. Besides my gut telling me that whole corn is better, whole corn also has the benefit of keeping for longer than cracked corn (just like any grain). So I can buy it in larger packages and save money.

10. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you paid good money with the deire to magically keep your chickens warm with corn you wasted your money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by