1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Wild Bird Seed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jhook1997, Jul 10, 2011.

1. jhook1997

jhook1997 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    I have a mixed flock ranging 8 weeks old to 17 weeks old. They love treats of course and I use them to go where I want. Found some wild bird seed very cheap and a huge (50lb) of plain bread crumbs. Ok to feed both of these?

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I feed my birds wild bird feed as a treat and free bread leftovers my father-in-law gathers when he volunteers at a local food bank. There are no reasons I know of that would make me avoid feeding it to them.

3. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Yep, OK. The nice thing about the wild bird seed is that it has BOSS in it and it's a ton cheaper than just buying straight BOSS.

4. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    What is BOSS?

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    What is BOSS?

Black Oil Sunflower Seed

Keep in mind bird seed is only about 8% protien, so it can't replace regular feed​

6. stcath95

stcath95 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    I give a seed fancy mix from Feeders supply/ crack corn/ ..as something besides regular feed for egg layers..and all table scraps//...they especially LOVE fruit/pumkin/watermelon/....Sunday ...oatmeal with molasses....gotta take care of the girls/
    9EE/ 3 ORPINGTON/2 CORONATION SUSSEX.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by