Feeding wild birds

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Jennyhaschicks, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Does anyone else feed wild birds?
    I am new to this and only have one bird feeder as of now. I know this is not a great idea,but I throw a lot of feed down on the ground. I get crows and the number of crows keeps increasing by the day. They obviously don't let the smaller birds near the food. Should I stop throwing the food on the ground? If I go strictly to above ground feeders will that deter the crows from visiting? Will I always have crows?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    more than 1 feeder would be idea!! as then the other smaller birds would have food too. i feed year round and have about 7-10 feeders full plus the hummingbirds in the spring/summer. we dont get many crows at all the feeders,just certain ones. i too put food on the ground for the mourning doves,cardinals,and the shyer birds. hope this helps! and enjoy!!!

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I hang out suet cakes outside my office window. LOTS of finches.

4. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    yes we do. Sorry I do not know what to do about the crows, if we get one it like ooh we got a crow or we do the same thing if we get a pigeon. Earlier this week we had a flock of cedar waxwings, about 12 robins, a flicker, and gold finches. We have one pole feeder with 4 arms/hangers for feeders, which are a suet cage, black oil seed feeder, thistle feeder and a regular bird seed feeder. I also like to throw bird seed on the gound.

5. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    We feed the birds and have about 5 feeder & suet cakes.
    We don’t have a crow problem – we get them every once and a while and I enjoy watching them.
    We do get a lot of blue jays though – I’ve found the secret is to provide the jays with a place to eat – they like to pick through the compost pile and I throw seed there to encourage them to feed in that area. Then I provide the smaller birds with a smaller feeder with a covered top that the jays can’t land on. Everybody get to eat and I get to enjoy a great diversity of birds. We’ll see how chickens fit into the equation; I have a hen who is a jay chaser.

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I used to love feeding the wild birds. Haven't bought any new feeders since we moved in though...

I have a question. The last time I made bacon, I saved the grease. It's sitting in a cup on my countertop. What goodies can I make (homemade) with it for the birds?

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would mix in some chia and/or other seeds, make it in to a ball and put it outside. You can hang the balls in a mesh bag, or put them on bamboo sticks (like a giant lollypop). As long as it is cold the balls will hold their shape well as the birds eat it.

8. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    I have had up to 5 feeders. I use black oil sunflower seeds and the mix kind and place one kind in each one. That way I get a variety of birds.

The crows have never come to our bird feeders. I don't know if it is because our feeders are close to the house. I do see crows off away closer to the tree line. But when I open the door to go outside they fly off. To scared of humans I guess?

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    We have a tiny bird feeder hanging outside our window here in the apartment, but I've only seen one or two birds at it so far. We are hoping come winter, we may see more!

At home we do not have a bird feeder because of the bears, but we do have a HUGE number of crows. We don't do anything to dissuade them for hanging around because believe it or not, they keep away the hawks. Hawks and crows are natural enemies. Since the crows have hung out at our house (More and more over the past 10 years), I have never had an attack on my chickens by a hawk. I've actually seen the crows chasing off hawks and it's really neat!

I can see why they would be a nuisance at a bird feeder though.

10. bantamfan

bantamfan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    I couldn't live if I didn't feed the birds in my area. When the snow flies we get around 200 Pinion Jays that will eat me out of house and home if I don't ration it out. Also get stellars jays, G>H> Juncos. Spotted towhees, eurasion collared doves, red-shafted flickers, Downey woodpeckers, Lewis's woodpeckers, WB nuthatches, house finch, cooper's hawk, Red-tail hawk, M. Doves, white-crown sparrows,
    and a couple of others that slip my mind at the moment. We have a lot of fun watching them from our dining room table, or out on the deck while it's warmer outside. At night we have deer and elk in our yard. Nature is a wonderful thing and great entertainment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by