Feeding worms to baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BYOChickens, Mar 20, 2011.

1. BYOChickens

BYOChickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2010
    It's been very wet out west and the worms are all over the ground outside. Did I see somewhere that I can feed the chicks worms from the garden??? If so, should I cut the worms in half to make them smaller for the chicks? The worms would be red worms and the occasional night crawlers.

2. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Our babies have gotten worms at 1 week old. I always hunt the smaler worms to give to them. Every once in while I give them a big night crawler and it's a funny scene, then trying to eat it but also keeping it away from the others. Just think, "What would the mama feed them if she was raising them.

3. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    We started feeding ours insects from the yard at about 1 week also. The small insects we would put in whole, if they were large or had a crunchy shell (beetle type) we would cut those for them. It is such fun to watch the insect football. If you are going to feed treats be sure they have access to grit.

We also put the dirt type insects (worms, grubs) in w/ dirt that they could scratch and find the insects, and grass type (hoppers) in a clump of grass for them to search through. It was better then TV.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Oh, don't cut them, much too much fun watching them play tug of war!

Keep in mind that chickens can get intestinal worms from these critters, as some are carriers. I'm not saying don't give them the worms. Heck, they will get them anyway when outdoors. Just something to be aware of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by