feeding worms to chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by atr04screw, Jun 28, 2011.

1. atr04screw

atr04screw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    I went to the store today and picked up some worms for my 4 wk old chicks. At first I gave them the whole worm (they were tiny worms) because I thought they would just tear them up with their beak. They just grabbed the worm and ran around with them and didn't try to eat it or anything. Then I broke the worms into smaller pieces and they ate some of the pieces but left some. I thought they would have loved them and fought over them like they do for bugs. Are they just too young for worms?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Maybe, or maybe they had eaten already and their crops were full.

You may want to avoid giving them too many worms, as chickens get round worms and other intestinal parasites from the invertabrates they eat (among other places). If you worm your birds regularly, it really isn't an issue, but keep an eye out for it,ya know? [​IMG]

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Some worms, even those used for bait, taste like crap. Many species out there. You may have bought a nasty one.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    centrarchid knows this from personal experience? [​IMG] LOL!!

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Some truth to that. Although most based on using worms as food for experimental fishes.

To us a good tasting worm tasts greasy. A bad tasting worm is acrid like pine needles or vinegar.

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    *giggles*

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    centrarchid wrote:

Some truth to that. Although most based on using worms as food for experimental fishes.

To us a good tasting worm tasts greasy. A bad tasting worm is acrid like pine needles or vinegar.

I love what I can learn from BYC members !!

OP: my chicks did the same thing; their interest didn't resume until POL. Now they are pigs! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by