Feeding young/older chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kellywags, Jul 6, 2016.

1. kellywags

kellywags Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    I currently have 14 week chickens who are on medicated feed. I'm considering getting a couple new chicks that are 6 weeks old. After their quarantine of 4 weeks, how would you do the feed (granted I'm hoping for laying chickens at 16-18wks). Can my laying chickens and younger chickens eat layer feed? We have a small coop so splitting the run isn't an option

2. Elky

Elky Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    In the Chicken Run
    Not totally sure what you are asking but I will say this, I have chicks that live with their mothers outside and they have eaten hen food all their life. Granted my food is crumbled so they can swallow it. Our feed is a layer feed so I don't think you should have a problem with your younger chicks eating the adult food :)

If I didn't answer your question just tell me

3. kellywags

kellywags Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    My question should have simply been, "can 10 week old chickens eat layer feed without issues?" So yes you answered it

4. Elky

Elky Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    In the Chicken Run
    Ok well good luck with your birds : )

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would feed both groups non medicated grower, you can provide oyster shells in a separate dish as your hens begin to lay. I personally don't feed layer due to the lower protein and my mixed flocks. I feed a non medicated grower and a pelleted All Flock. Layer has too much calcium for chicks so I wouldn't feed it to anything but laying hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by