Feeding your animals!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by arabianequine, Aug 4, 2010.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    What time do you feed your livestock?

Does it really matter when you feed?

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I've only been feeding in the mornings, when it gets colder, I'll feed in the morning and evenings.

I prefer to feed in the cooler parts of the day...I mean, when it's 110* out you're not exactly feeling very hungry yourself.

3. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I feed in the evenings. I leave for work at like 5:30 AM so nothing is really awake and ready to eat. [​IMG] Also I noticed that if I feed the hens to early or to late they don't lay as well. Thats what I've noticed

4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I hear that if you feed your poultry is fed late,they wont have time to digest their food in their crop,and will have sour crop disease.I feed them early at 5-6 am before I feed myself.If you keep animals,they must be fed before you.

5. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Can you explain? All of my birds are fed on a 24/7 diet. I have not had a sour crop issue in 19 years. I've never heard of this issue cropping up in birds fed later in the day.

6. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    So what if I don't get up till late noon and then I don't go out and feed till 1pm-2 pm but then again at night like between 10pm-12am. I usually feed between 10-noon and ten and midnight but lately it has been later. Oh and they are hungry whenever I go out and they are not starving either they just think they are. [​IMG] I am mainly talking about my horse and 2 cows....the birds have plenty of food all the time.

I know some people think I am crazy for feeding so late but that is my schedule when I work so I stay on it all the time usually. I know a lot of people that feed like 8 am and 5 pm everyday year round.

7. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:Can you explain? All of my birds are fed on a 24/7 diet. I have not had a sour crop issue in 19 years. I've never heard of this issue cropping up in birds fed later in the day.

I read an article a while ago.I cant seem to find it now.

Although I read the article,I hold to what my great-grandfather said" Get out of bed boy and go feed the animals!.Its 3 am and you need to be done by 5 am with all the animals".He had a 500 acre working cattle ranch fully equipped with an old fashioned slaughter house.He had horses,cattle,cows,sheep,goats,pigs,chickens,ducks,turkeys...yadda yadda,yadda.It was hard work but I did it.Maybe its just me but I don't see it fair to feed my face before my animals.call me old fashioned,call me obsolete,but if I am so,I aint gonna change!

[​IMG]

8. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm the same way with my horse (but if I don't eat before going out there... me = [​IMG])

BUT, my chickens are on 24/7 feed, so I don't worry about their feeding schedule.

9. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    I feed my critters 2 times a day. When I work overnight they get fed at 7am when I am off they get fed at 10am. The evening is about the same, around 7pm.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    With the chickens I just keep their feeders full and top off as necessary, usually in the evenings. I do their outside waterers throughout the day, their inside waterers before they go into roost at night.
    My dogs are fed twice a day, morning and evening. We don't eat breakfast ourselves, so I usually feed them about 10 AM. In the evenings they have to wait until we are finished eating. It's an alpha dog thing and something my DH insists upon. [​IMG]
    With my siamese KiKi being on a perpetual diet, I can't just leave the cats bowls full all the time as I used to. They are fed at 10 AM, 6 PM and I top the dishes off being going to bed at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by