feeding your chickens...chicken??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cluckmecoop7, Apr 23, 2019.

1. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Songster

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody feeds their own live chickens, chicken meat. Does anyone think its wrong or something like that? I'm not feeding any to my chickens until I see what people think.

Thank you.

2. Fluffnut

Fluffnut Songster

Mar 12, 2019
    North Carolina
    Chickens can eat cooked chicken and it shouldn't have any negative effect; however, I personally don't feed it to them, just for my sake- I just don't like doing it. But I have a friend who does feed them chicken scraps and his hens are healthy and beautiful too.
    So I wouldn't cook them a chicken dinner, but if you have the occasional scraps (especially mixed in with other things) as long as you don't mind, you can feed it to them.
    Really it's just your personal preference :)

3. yickenscarf23

yickenscarf23 Songster

Oct 24, 2018
    Indiana
    I have always wondered this I'm glad someone asked

4. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    I guess technically there is nothing wrong with a little coocked chicken... But it still just seems wrong to me!

5. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Songster

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    Thanks for the quick replies! I'm still not sure yet.....

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  6. Evelyn Walker

Evelyn Walker Chirping

Apr 3, 2019
    Feeding them chicken won't harm them in any way. It's all up to personal preference. If I have a little extra chicken it always goes to the hens or the cat, no point in wasting it!

7. Red-Stars-in-RI

Red-Stars-in-RI Songster

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    I do it and it's perfectly safe for them.

I can vouch for the fact that it doesn't turn them into ZOMBIES :barnie

ChickenJenn72, Bak-Bak, chkva and 9 others like this.
  8. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    lol. great questions and answers! My flock LOVES the occasional bite of chicken meat.

9. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Songster

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Don't worry a bit about it! My indoor and outdoor pet chickens LOVE, and i mean LOVE chicken. Grant it I make sure it is cooked. We just tell them its Emu or better yet hawk. We started doing that originally with my dog since we didn't want her to ever make the connection to the tasty meat on her dinner plate and the critters mom is always introducing her to and cuddling with. Weirdly enough, my neighbors let their chicken flock eat any dead birds that were hit by cars or died similarly. Call me crazy but i don't think i want my birds to acquire the taste for cannibalism.

Bak-Bak, chkva, chrissynemetz and 3 others like this.
  10. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Your chickens can eat just about any meat you have access to, though you should cook it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: