Feeding your chickens pinkies for extra protein

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by porkchop48, Oct 12, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I am also into the reptile hobby ( I breed poison dart frogs and a couple geckos )

At the reptile shows that I vend there is always pinky mice.... Would they be ok to feed to my chickens as a treat ? Live or frozen/ thawed?

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Feed them live.

3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Ugh!

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Pretty expensive chicken feed, but they would be a good supplement. Live or dead I don't think it would matter much.

5. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    One day I stumbled upon a nest with a mother and a bunch of pink babies. She ran off, so not wanting them to end up in my house,I tossed the babies into my girls. They snapped them up.

6. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. I sure am glad your talking about mice! I thought it was gonna get really weird there for a second.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Wouldn't be expensive at all if you raised your own. Ick though. I don't think I'd want to see my girls with blood on their beaks!

8. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    No blood, they just swallow them whole. I showed my hens a nest of pinkies where the mom ran off after I flipped over some wood. They went crazy for them!

9. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    You ought to see them choke down a whole mouse: it's a real hoot. A LF hen can swallow an adult mouse in one stroke.

If you can let them grow (the mice) without a lot of cost then I'd feed adult mice and not the babies.

10. zyklonbetty

zyklonbetty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    St Louis
    I breed corn snakes as well and I have got to say I have been wondering this for at least a year!!! I buy my pinkies by the thousands and MAN now that i know im not the only one thinking this is a good idea I am pretty excited. I especially think itll be good in the winter when there arent a lot of bugs for protein. for anyone else who is interested, i get all of my mice from rodentpro.com it is the absolute best place and greatest deal on the internet. he is right though, if you can find a reptile show you can usually get them there and not incur the expensive shipping cost!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by