Feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ahoppy, Mar 31, 2016.

1. ahoppy

ahoppy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    Spokane , WA.
    Hi I'm curious how long do I feed my chicks starter feed? I have 5 three weeks and 2 two weeks old. Thanks Al

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Are you raising meat birds or layers? What is your feed plan long-term? Are you wanting to graduate through the cycle of feeds ending on layer ration (if raising layers)? Will your flock be all one gender and age or are you going to have a mixed flock (species, age, gender)?

You can feed the starter as long as you wish - or you can transition from starter to grower at 6+ weeks. If you intend to feed layer you don't want to start it before 18 weeks or the point of lay for all the birds in your flock. An alternative plan that simplifies it all is to feed a grower type ration to your birds at all times -- I feed it from the first to last day each bird is in my flock. For laying birds simply provide free-choice oyster shell on the side so they can meet their calcium needs (the extra calcium is the primary advantage of layer ration).

3. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I'm feeding my 12 week old pullets Nutrena Chick Starter-Grower and was told at the feed store to keep them on that until they start laying and then switch to a layer type feed that contains calcium. Since I have Leghorns and Barred Rocks they'll probably start laying at different times so I'm planning to keep all of them on the starter-grower feed and add a second feeder with crushed oyster shell so the laying birds can get enough calcium. Once they're all laying I'll finally switch over to a layer feed. If I were in your shoes I'd do the same. My only problem is I won't know for sure when every single bird is laying since I won't be there watching them when it happens, and even if I were I'm not sure I could tell them apart since I have 25. My brain isn't that good so I'll just take an edumacated guess as to when to switch over to layer feed.

4. ahoppy

Feb 27, 2016
    Spokane , WA.
    Thank you for your response , that helped . I at least know I have some time before I need make a switch . It's close to getting them out of the house and into the garage or someplace , there dander dust is more than I bargained for. Half way through with building the coop. Thanks again,

5. ahoppy

Feb 27, 2016
    Spokane , WA.
    Wow some of that went right over my head. I am caring for layers. I have golden sex links x5 and RIR x2 they are 2-3wks. old doing very well. I'm not savoy to some of your question in regards to feed plans . Right now I'm feeding them a good chick starter feed unmedicated , and will continue I guess until they start laying. I am up on the calcium for there egg shell strength. Thank you for responding to my question.

6. ejcrist

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Brother I been there! My flock is my first and I knew there'd be dust so I kept the brooder in my garage. I ended up sweeping up about three times a day and there's still dust in there even though I've cleaned several times since moving them to the coop/run six weeks ago. I don't know how some people manage to raise 'em in the house because that would kill me. I finished my coop/run about a day after they were six weeks old and I moved them out there immediately. Note to future chicken owners: Finish the coop BEFORE you get the chicks. I should've known better. That was a stressful period in my life but I'm glad it's over.

7. ahoppy

Feb 27, 2016
    Spokane , WA.
    Hey man I want to upload a pic for my profile, how can I do that on my I phone, any idea?

8. ejcrist

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Don't know how to do it on an iPhone. I just started using an iPhone so about the only think I know how to do is make phone calls. If it didn't break years ago I'd still have my rotary phone in my house.

9. ahoppy

Feb 27, 2016
    Spokane , WA.
    Lol. I get it .....

10. ChickenGal6

ChickenGal6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    I'm feeding my 12 week old pullets Nutrena Chick Starter-Grower and was told at the feed store to keep them on that until they start laying and then switch to a layer type feed that contains calcium. Since I have Leghorns and Barred Rocks they'll probably start laying at different times so I'm planning to keep all of them on the starter-grower feed and add a second feeder with crushed oyster shell so the laying birds can get enough calcium. Once they're all laying I'll finally switch over to a layer feed. If I were in your shoes I'd do the same. My only problem is I won't know for sure when every single bird is laying since I won't be there watching them when it happens, and even if I were I'm not sure I could tell them apart since I have 25. My brain isn't that good so I'll just take an edumacated guess as to when to switch over to layer feed.

I heard in my books that you are saupposef to have them on starter till 6 weeks then you go to pullet starter until 14 weeks. And then at 20 am over you feed them layer feed

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by