Feeding

TheBoss_512

Chirping
Oct 12, 2019
I googled and searched the forums,but am still confused on afew things.

I saw “Chick Grit” on tractor supplies website. Do chicks really need their own special grit? I’m fine with that. Just hadnt heard mention of it until browsing TS’s website.

What’s your preferred brand/line for chicks and then adults I’m raising for meat and eggs.

and what supplier do you use? I don’t think my TS carries much. So I may order online.

Also,are there other options besides buying a 50lb bag of chick starter? lol.
Thanks!!

I saw “Chick Grit” on tractor supplies website. Do chicks really need their own special grit? I’m fine with that. Just hadnt heard mention of it until browsing TS’s website.

What’s your preferred brand/line for chicks and then adults I’m raising for meat and eggs.

and what supplier do you use? I don’t think my TS carries much. So I may order online.

Thanks!!
You posted in the quail forum so I assume we are talking quail chicks. Chicks need grit if you plan to feed them anything now easily dissolved by water. So if you are going to feed them feed only with no corn or seed then you do not need grit. If you give them vegetables, fruits, grains then you will need grit. For grit you can provide it freely or can set up a dust bath and they will dust but also eat the sand from the bath so it's a multi purpose. For chicks I feed Dumor chick starter 24% . They have a 50lb bag as well as a smaller 10lb. Depending how many chicks you have the 10lb lasts me for awhile but I only have 3 quail right now . This is suitable for gamebirds and turkeys due to the high protein contents. After 6 or 8 weeks I use manapro gamebird show bird feed or turkey feed works as well once again due to the high protein content quail require. The lowest I would go for protein is 20% and that's pushing it. Since your raising for meat and eggs I'd stay with a 24 or 30% if you can find it. I buy my feed at tsc or online tsc. Mealworms are 50% protein and I offer those as treats. Be sure to provide your hens with oyster shell once they start laying. I wouldn't switch to layer feed for them the protein is usually low and it's easier to offer it on the side freely because the hen may require more than what the feed offers.

Last edited:

Thanks!!

https://www.google.com/search?clien...3lAhVKc98KHXYeBtoQxaoCKAB6BAgLECg#pie=plaji-i

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/...p-ZSoFQxH4wNIZtepj5XDV2VT3bt8oWcaAtQDEALw_wcB

https://www.ebay.com/i/202270813292...GIdoFOFRJGzmHApF6bOxvxi4VGm68R6UaAoo9EALw_wcB

Thank you!! What’s the beat water attachments for quail? I feel like I saw videos where the automatic cups with the yellow trigger were recommended,but they dont have as good a review as these
RentACoop Automatic Chicken Water Nipple Cup Waterer Kit for Poultry (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6VFCWM/?tag=backy-20

Thank you!! What’s the beat water attachments for quail? I feel like I saw videos where the automatic cups with the yellow trigger were recommended,but they dont have as good a review as these
RentACoop Automatic Chicken Water Nipple Cup Waterer Kit for Poultry (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6VFCWM/?tag=backy-20
I just have 3 pet quail and have never had a large number so I don't use those. I just use a chicken chick waterer that has the red bottom and the white plastic part that hold water. I elevate it and it works fine. I also change water daily so it never has time to get dirty. If your looking for clean and convient I would get the nipple water. Just be sure to teach your chicks how to use it or they will not drink water. Once one or 2 knows how they can usually show the rest but be sure all are drinking and not getting pasty butt. As chicks I offer the Dumor feed wet so it's easier to eat. It also helps with their water intake. They will eat it dry just make sure the crumbles are small enough. You may have to crush them alittle. I have noticed the fresher the feed the bigger the crumbles. I assume because that bag hasn't been thrown around as much as older bags have due to moving them and placing them on display. Also if you buy your feed at the store check the manufacture date. Since quail eat less and take longer to go thru a bag you don't want your feed to be spoiled or lose nutrients by the time they finish it. I don't buy any feed older than a month because it takes my 3 about 4 months or so to go thru a bag. After 6 months nutrients are lost and it's not as fresh.

Back
Top Bottom