Feeding?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by xheatherrr3, Aug 10, 2010.

1. xheatherrr3

xheatherrr3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    I am raising my first flock. I went into the local feed store and asked some questions there and they told me to keep them on the chick starter/grower for about 6 months. Is that correct? My chickens are about 6 months now and have started laying eggs. I have a feeling that I was supposed to switch feed a while ago...

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I switch over to laying feed when they are at the point of lay. You'll see the comb and wattles of the pullets get larger, softer, and red! Then it's time for layer feed. they'll need to extra calcium for egg making.

If yours are laying, its time to switch!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wellllll...... some folks do keep their "chicks" on starter until they begin to lay, because that's what their local feed store recommends. I frequent two different feed stores, one of 'em JUST for emergency supplies or poor planning on my part, as I discovered a much better feed store further away. Unfortunately, I can't get there before they close on week days (hence the 'poor planning' comment, should I run out of feed before the weekend) and can only make it on week ends. But that's where I bought most of my chicks and USUALLY all of my feed.

The second and best feed store offers Nutrena/NatureWise "grower/finisher" feed, which is the intermediate one between starter and layer feeds. The other feed store employees didn't even realize there was such a thing.

I now feed my entire flock (except for any chicks under 8 wks of age) grower/finisher feed, and provide crushed oyster shell free choice for the laying pullets/hens. I do not feed layer feed.

4. xheatherrr3

Aug 7, 2010
    Okay, I'm going to switch the feed. But about the oyster shell, do you mix it with the feed, or separately?

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Crushed oyster shell, offered separately and free choice. I keep it always available in an empty tuna can nailed to an inside coop wall near the feeder.

6. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I keept the oyster shell in a dog bowl, screwed onto the wall. [​IMG]

7. xheatherrr3

Aug 7, 2010
    Okay, great. Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by