feeding?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cynthia12, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Does anyone have pictures as to how you feed your ducks? What do you put your feed in? First time duck owner coming up here..just waiting for the eggs, then I'll be asking tons of questions on how to hatch! Wait, I think I have this back wards. lol...just thinking ahead.

Might as well ask to see pictures of how you let your cute little ones get wet? I'm getting Welsh Harlequins. [​IMG]

2. Aglaboost

Aglaboost Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    I have a galvanized poultry feeder for my ducks.

[​IMG]

Behind them is a 3 gallon poultry waterer that I put out for them so they have something to wash down the feed with. When they were babies I had a smaller feeder that looks a little different, but they are easy to find at any hardware/feed store.

Not in this picture is a little plastic tub I have for them as a temporary pond. I have a 6x1 galvanized stock tank ordered that I hope to use as a pond when it gets here.

This thread has a lot of good information/pictures about duck ponds members here have.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=394655

Congrats on the eggs!

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I started with the small pint jar feeder because of space limitations and the babies poo on everything

4. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Thank you! Sounds like they are fed with pretty much the same things as chickens. Oh, I've heard about the poop..hoping it won't be too much worse than chickens. [​IMG]
    Hey that's a great thread on the ponds..fancy! I just showed my husband and said, hey, think I have a new project for you. He looks, and says, hmm. [​IMG]
    Swimming pool may have to do. I do have chickens. Want the ducks and chickens to get along..hope that happens, but then worry about the chickens getting into the pool..and...drowning? Hopefully they stay away from the pool except to get a drink once in a while.

5. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    It will be way worse than chickens!lol be prepared u will be amazed!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I feed them with a four inch deep 9"x12" plastic pan and water them with a five quart pot, and a three gallon steel salad bowl and a 2'x3'x10" concrete mixing pan.

I have ten runners.

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Oh boy! I'm sure hearing a lot about poo! [​IMG]
    Any pictures? Share any of your favorite ducks..I'm getting excited. Don't have to share the poo pictures, unless it just happens to be there. [​IMG]
    Any pictures of Welsh Halequins? I hope to get my eggs tomorrow. Already wondering how soon to get them into some water..and..I've seen pictures of lettuce in their drinking water? Boy, I have a lot to learn. Can they eat pieces of lettuce pretty quick? Sounds like I'm going to be buying some little gold fish for them too. Not sure when to start that either! Have been reading, I promise. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by