Feeding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chris328, Jul 3, 2011.

1. chris328

chris328 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    At what age do chickens for egg laying stop getting food 24/7 or are they always need to have food in with them they are 13 weeks old. I have not allowed them to free range yet.
    thanks for any imput as i am new to chickens

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feed available 24/7 is what many folks here do. It's just easier to do.

However, many folks practice an adaptation of portion control. This management system is more about rodent-mice-rat issues than anything else. Basically, it means that by roosting time in the evenings, the feed troughs have been emptied. It takes some careful observation and knowledge to feed the hens all they want during the day, without having a surplus to sit out over night for nocturnal visitors.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Fred's Hens :

Feed available 24/7 is what many folks here do. It's just easier to do.

However, many folks practice an adaptation of portion control. This management system is more about rodent-mice-rat issues than anything else. Basically, it means that by roosting time in the evenings, the feed troughs have been emptied. It takes some careful observation and knowledge to feed the hens all they want during the day, without having a surplus to sit out over night for nocturnal visitors.

In my free setting a very similar logic applies except rodents are not my concern, rather it is predators that looking first for uneaten feed. Predators that bother me most are nocturnal oppossums and racoons.

The restricted ration also promotes birds to invest more in foraging which has multiple benefits. Feed bill a little lower but meat and egg quality influenced more by natural foods which I consider to be better for my health as consumer of such products.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by