feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chick1043, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I have hens mixed in with 15 week olds and was wondering if its ok to feed all of them layer feed together..it would be less expensive..

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

While it won't kill them, I am growing in my opposition to high calcium layer for the teenagers like yours. It could very well be that they won't lay until week 24, so they'd be fed high calcium layer for a long, long time. That's my concern.

Anyway you could feed the whole flock a Flock type feed for a another month? Offer the layers crush egg shell or oyster shell on the side, if they peck at them, they need them. The juveniles won't touch them much.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The layer feed has too much Calcium for half grown chicks and it could lead to health problems.

Chris

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  4. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    What food is suggested for layers and chick mixs? thanks

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:At 15 week old your chicks should be on a Grower feed one that is around 15 to 17 percent protein.
    What you could do is put the hen and chicks on a 17% grower and supplement the calcium with oyster shells.

Chris

6. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:At 15 week old your chicks should be on a Grower feed one that is around 15 to 17 percent protein.
    What you could do is put the hen and chicks on a 17% grower and supplement the calcium with oyster shells.

Chris

okay so hens will be ok eating grower feed?

7. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Your 15 week olds will be fine on layer feed, they are way to close to POL for them to be affected. Ive never had this problem...

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The only pullet I would personally put on layer feed at 15 weeks might, might be leghorn or ISA type commercial pullet that generally begin ay at 17-18 weeks. With other breeds, the POL, especially in winter, is often 24-28 weeks. In other words, your 15 week old chick, might be only half way to POL. High calcium for the slower developing breeds for 8 and 9 weeks before POL is proven to be detrimental to development. Research it for yourself. I've no dog in this fight. My pullets are healthy and I'd have no interest in harming them in any way, but that's me.

There's no magic in layer. It is merely a raiser or grower with added high calcium. It doesn't make them lay, speed production or increase production. It is feed for hens who are already laying to make up the calcium needed because of egg shell production. That calcium "make-up" can also be provided for through offering shells and some studies indicate that it might even be a superior way to provide calcium.

At POL the pullet's laying is sporadic and she'll lay a very small, pullet egg. There is plenty of time to bump the calcium when she actually begins to lay, and that point is simply not predictable with absolution precision.

So, the above is for what it is worth. Been doing this for 50 years, so take that for what it is worth as well. The science is available for anyone to read as well. Best regards.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by