Feeds, so many feeds.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by percyj, Jul 28, 2010.

1. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Ok, i was rereading storeys guide to raising ducks, and in the nutrition section, he seemed to contradict himself. I (doing tons of research beforehand like a good person) was really confused, are ducks really /that/ much more complicated than geese? Ignore that my real question is I was looking for a feed that I could feed until they started laying, any suggestions? when I searched this it was all for chickens, so....

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Because of the fact they are so tiny to begin with and have different nutritional needs than when they are say- 12 weeks old- there isnt just one type of food that you can give up until they lay. Buying larger pellets and crushing them is no good as although the size might be ok- the nutritional value of the feed wont be. I start mine on Crumble- Then a grower- then laying pellets. Because they do grow so quick - maybe you could just find a good grower for ducks and get a decent size bag of that- and just a small amount of crumble to start them off with for the first 3- 4 weeks.

3. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Yeah but I only want two....so 20lbs bag would go 2 waste.[​IMG]

4. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:Our pair of 8 week olds go through 50 lbs. of grower in a few weeks.....Ducks tend to fling food....

5. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

6. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    So....when 2 switch from grower 2 layer? 18 wks is what layena says.

7. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    This is for chicks... Has lysine and methionine. Is that ok??? Called purina start and grow. No niacin, tho. How much brewers yeast should I add per cup? Or should I go w/ flock raiser??? Purina[​IMG] Start & Grow[​IMG] SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe Poultry Feed provides superior nutrition for starting & growing healthy laying chicks Made from natural plant-based ingredients free of all animal proteins and fats, it contains all the quality nutrients necessary to produce strong, healthy, beautifully colored birds. This SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe diet takes "natural" to a whole new level by using only the freshest, highest quality sun-grown grains and plant proteins to give birds the wholesome, healthy goodness and fresh taste they deserve. Contains amprolium to aid in developing immunity to coccidiosis, a common digestive ailment in young chicks, caused by an intestinal parasite.

Consistent superior nutrition for optimal growth
    Enhanced with lysine and methionine to help birds look great and build strong muscles
    Strong level of Vitamin E helps birds ward off disease
    High level of xanthophyll, a natural coloring agent derived from marigolds, ensures bright coloring for a beautiful flock
    Strong Vitamin A fortification helps birds grow into healthy breeders
    Top nutrition requires no supplementation
    Aids in developing active immunity to Coccidiosis
    Guaranteed Analysis:
    Protein (min.) 18.00%, Crude Fat (min.) 3.00%, Lysine (min.) 0.88%, Methionine (min.) 0.32%, Crude Fiber (max.) 5.00%, Vitamin A 5,000 IU/lb, Vitamin E 14 IU/lb.

Feeding instructions:
    Feed Purina Mills[​IMG] Start & Grow[​IMG] SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe as the sole ration to free-range and confined chickens (including backyard egg producers, small to medium breeds and fancy and exotic breeds) free-choice from hatch until laying age (18-20 weeks).
    At 18-20 weeks of age, feed Purina Mills[​IMG] Layena[​IMG] SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe free-choice.
    Always provide shelter and a constant supply of fresh, clean water.
    Consumption will vary depending upon season of the year, nutritional needs of the animals and availability of other foods.

Top of Page

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  8. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:After 1st egg is laid

9. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    I would go with Flock Raiser from day one just cuz it's easier to only have to feed one type of feed during the brooding stage. I happen to not have access to any Purina Poultry feed so I have to go through all this hassle with Starter, Grower, Finisher, Layer, etc.

10. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:Oh yes they eat A LOT but also they are very messy eaters and kind of sloppily swallow their food (some spills out when they drink lol). They also loooove to poop in or on their food. Lots of wasted food with these crazy duckies.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by