Feedstore Poults... What kind? How old? Sex?

WhiteMountainsRanch

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
San Diego, CA
Got 2 from the feed store, thinking about getting 2 more, they didn't know what they were, is there a way to tell this young? I'm sure they got them from a hatchery. They all looked the same, some smaller some bigger. I know nothing about turkeys, how old when I can tell the sex?

Thanks!

SAM_1778.jpg

SAM_1779.jpg

SAM_1777.jpg

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif
LoL yeah, he loves to sit there in the window and watch the brooder.
smile.png
He hasn't ever hurt anything though.
smile.png
He's a good boy.
love.gif

So I guess I will name these two Thanksgiving and Christmas, and keep looking for Standard Bronzes for an eventual breeding program.
cool.png

Quote:
Just wait until they are bigger. Then kitty will be running from them.

lol.png

My moms cat was eyeing the goslings last year and Ms. Kitty was running all over the yard because 5 half grown geese were chaseing her and blocking every hole and hideaway.
It was quite amuseing!
big_smile.png

So now I just read on here that
BBB are no longer a commercially breed turkey. The BBW is. The heritage bronze is very close to what we call a BBB today. Ideal Hatchery list the weight of there BBB at maturity are males-25 lbs. and hens-16 lbs. The BBW standard weights at maturity are males-45 lbs. and hens-25 lbs. My heritage bronze toms are a good 10-15 pounds more than the weights listed for BBB males and still breed naturally. I don't think you will know if your turkeys are one of these small BBB or a heritage bronze unless you start having a problem with them.

Does that mean they aren't BBB then? I'm confused.
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom