Feel a lot better about my chooks and quakes now!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by PorkyPete, Jun 13, 2011.

1. PorkyPete

PorkyPete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Christchurch, NZ
    As I live in Christchurch, New Zealand, I am sure its common knowledge what's been happening with our shaky ground in the past 9 months. Anyway, I started having backyard chickens in March this year, So it was after the big earthquakes and its always been a bit worrying for me about what will happen if something of a decent magnitude hits here again and I'm not home for the chooks. Well that happened today, A 5.5 and a 6.0 while we were at the hospital. I was freaking out thinking something had happened to them (You know you're obsessed with chickens when they're the main thing on your mind after natural disasters happen [​IMG] ) , Maybe they were in the coop and it collapsed on them, Maybe one of the fences broke and a dog or similar got in and attacked them, Maybe they got out, Maybe the gate shook open and they got into the front of the property and then onto the street, Maybe liquefaction had killed them. The thoughts that were running through my mind, I was expecting the worst when we made it home 4 hours later! Jumped out of the car and sped over to the run to find them all having fun foraging and having dust baths like nothing ever happened. After we got home we ran into my elderly neighbour and she said she wasn't sure if we were home but the first thing she did after the aftershock hit was come over and check on our chickens. Makes me feel so much more at ease knowing there is another pair of eyes looking out for my children [​IMG] and that they know where its safe when something happens and I don't have to be there to help them [​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Cool to know you have a kind neighbor looking out for you. Glad you got through the quakes.

3. velittlechik

velittlechik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Idabel, OK
    I heard about you all this morning on the news with another quake. So scary and you have certainly had your share of flooding this year too. So good to hear you weren't affected too badly. Don't you just love having a neighbor that thinks to do something like that! The neighbors on my road are like that too and we all help round up each others horses or goats or whatever escapes. I smiled when you said the first thing you thought of was what could have happened to your chickens. I know I would too. But don't tell my husband he came in second!

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I'm glad you and your chickens are safe. [​IMG] It sounds like it is time to do something nice for your neighbor. [​IMG]

5. PorkyPete

PorkyPete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Christchurch, NZ
    Thank you for the kind words [​IMG] Yes I might have to bake my neighbour a cake or something [​IMG]
    I'm really starting to appreciate the street I live on! We are in a wee cul de sac and a lot of people have left this area but the people still on my street are the best.
    velittlechik - haha I think my family got a bit annoyed at my worrying of the little fluffy butts! I might have to go to chicken rehab [​IMG] although I think majority of us on this site would have to [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by