Feel good chicken/cat story! Pudster the hero! new pics #8

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WriterofWords, May 30, 2010.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    This afternoon I heard the horrible unmistakable sounds of a dog attack on a chicken coming from my back yard. Most of my dogs won't bother the chickens, but little Screech Mouse somehow got himself into the backyard with the little mutt Scruffy that we took in after it showed up on the 4th of July 3 years ago I think. No one ever claimed her and she's so old and ugly no one would adopt her. Anyway, she had screech and was running across the backyard and with my knee in the condition it was in I couldn't run to save him. I did manage to get down the steps and was yelling and screaming for Scruffy to drop the chicken, the other dogs were trying to chase her and I was afraid poor little Screech was going to die right there in front of me. Bella my Heeler managed to bump Scruffy pretty hard and she dropped Screech who went running for the trailer which is skirted all the way around. He found a small indentation and got under the house. I was calling for Steven who was taking a nap and came running with a flashlight and went in through the crawl space to try and find Screech, who had been dragging his right wing when he got away. He had no luck under there, it's a decent size double-wide and dark even with a flashlight and Screech is black too. I was getting ready to go to a friends for dinner and I hated to leave without knowing Screech's situation but I was late already and I was taking the eggs for the dinner.

On the front porch right behind the steps is where Pudster the Cat goes in and out under the house, he lives under there and is great rodent control, it's not a big opening though. I went outside with a carton to grab some eggs on my way to the truck and just as I bent over to grab the eggs Puddy came up through his little entrance carrying Screech in his mouth! He came straight to me and spit the poor little guy out at my feet and he was limp, I thought he was dead, but as soon as the cat spit him out he jumped up and ran! He didn't show any obvious injuries but after being grabbed by a dog, run around the yard, I wouldn't be surprised if he has internal injuries. He went to his little kennel house with Goldy, Specks, and the three ducklings. I cracked open an egg for Puddy for a reward for returning my little Screech to me. I was so shocked to see him with Screech, it was like he knew I was looking for him, or that he didn't belong under there and he brought him straight to me.

Pudster the watch cat,, my hero!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With his smashed sweet taters and corn!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Hooray for Pudster!! [​IMG]

Hope Screech is ok!

PS - Tell Pud he's a handsome boy [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you, I have his daughter now and two grand-kitties,, I have to find them homes, but they are great with the birds too,, so hopefully I can place them together! Pudster has been a blessing ever since he showed up here.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

You're wonderful Pudster!!! [​IMG] Heres to a good outcome for the little guy Screech. [​IMG]

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Screech is hiding somewhere,, he isn't in the kennel! I'll have to find him in the daylight,, I hope he's ok.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hope Screech is okay! Good Puddy. He's such a great cat!

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Screech is ok this morning! Has laying next to the kennel this morning when I went out to feed. Puddy is hanging around the porch too, he doesn't usually do that during the day so he got an extra can of cat food a baked just for him sweet potato!

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Puddy on guard duty this afternoon,, my Chihuahua was out so Puddy decided to hang out in the baby pen and glare at Angel!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Princess Lay-a

Princess Lay-a Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    Far out!! Way to go, Puddy!![​IMG]

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    WTG Pudster....what a good kitty