Feel kinda crappy.....had to shoot a cat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by unionwirewoman, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    I was out at my mothers place today helping clean up around there for her appraisal . She had mentioned quite a few times a bout a stray cat that was going on her property , getting in fights with her cats , eating all of the food left out and not letting her cats eat . I was just about to leave when we hear a cat howling in the pasture....sure enough ....here comes the stray cat . I immediately grabbed my old 270 I gave to my mom and loaded it . It was pretty hard to look through the scope at that beautifull cat ( he was not nuetered ) and pull the trigger , but I did . At least her 3 cats will be able to sleep and eat now . Just thought it was pretty crappy that some people either dropped the cat off on the mountain , or owned it , just to wander around and not take care of it . I love cats and have never shot one in my life.....so I guess I'm feeling a little guilty , even though I know it was the right desicion .[​IMG]

2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    No worries, around here if it's not in the house, it's a game animal. We usually kill one or two a month.

3. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    the last stray cat i felt bad and didnt shoot hid itself in my barn and died in the middle of august
    you did the right thing

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Strays can carry a number of diseases and get your cats sick. Catching them can be difficult and down right dangerous if they can get a claw near you. The infection you can get from a feral's scratch can cost you more then you think.

Even if caught and taken to a shelter, most likely it would have been put down.

Matt

5. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I couldn't have done it. My Grandma had a stray she didn't want around, so I caught it and took him to the Humane Society. Ours is no kill, and he was friendly. Ferals are a different story, a well placed bullet is more humane than the life they lead and the ends they meet. In my humble opinion, very few things are completely black and white and we don't get to make too many 100% "right" calls. Therein lies the guilt, technically you didn't HAVE to shoot the cat - you chose to because he was making someone you care about unhappy. To each his/her own.

6. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Well that's the crappy part.....we don't know if it was a stray . It still had all of it's ummm....junk intact , and was pestering the cats so bad at my mom's that the only option was to shoot . I'd just hate to think of someone calling for thier cat and it never coming home . It was a friendly cat to people ( somewhat , at least it came closer when we said kitty kitty.....sorry to be so graphic , but that's kinda what made me feel a little guilty , it was 5 acres onto her property btw ) . At least I know the other cats she has will be able to eat now , I'm an avid hunter and butcher my own chickens....but for some reason this really dealt me a blow .

7. nerfy

nerfy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Western Illinois
    Being that the posts under my name were added by my niece, I will be deleting them.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  8. nerfy

Aug 4, 2008
    Western Illinois
    [​IMG]

9. nerfy

Aug 4, 2008
    Western Illinois
    [​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think you did what you had to do under the circumstances. I don't even hunt anymore, but I feel for you.

Sorry for your pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by