Feel like a failure :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by equine623, May 26, 2010.

1. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Borrowed a friend's incubator and set it up at my daughter's preschool...which is in the teacher's house. Got two fertile eggs (don't need that many more chickens right now) and put them in. Candled them after a week, definitely had development. Due to hatch the end of this week, candled them again to make sure all was well and I think they stopped developing sometime I'm guessing last week. There is too much space for light to shine through, not a big enough dark area suggesting a chick. I know they were turned right, the temp stayed steady right around 100, humidity should have been fine the incubator was just used recently to hatch other eggs.

Now the kids are bummed, I'm bummed, the teacher feels guilty even though I've reassured her that it wasn't anything she did or didn't do. I knew there was a risk of this, especially with only having two eggs in there but for both of them to be gone really stinks!

Anyone in NE PA willing to let me buy a couple eggs? [​IMG] We would like to try again....but maybe we shouldn't.

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Are they already cold? I wouldn't take them out yet unless you're completely sure they're dead. With still a week left in incubation, I wouldn't expect them to be completely dark yet.

If they are already cold and/or you're sure they're dead, don't feel too bad. Everyone has a bad hatch from time to time. It just happens. Go ahead and try again--maybe with a few more eggs. [​IMG] Wish I could help you out with that, but I'm in Charlotte, NC.

3. illegal avian

illegal avian Cooped up

Apr 21, 2010
    Third World, Texas
    Go to the feed store, buy a couple chicks, and toss them in the incubator. School is almost out and patience is thin anyway.

4. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Or better yet, buy a couple of brand new puppies. Throw their whole science curriculum out of wack;)

5. EggSpudition

EggSpudition Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Quote:I love it! To top it off-- put them next to the incubator with some broken egg shells surrounding them... that will give them something to talk about this summer!

[​IMG]

6. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    We hatched puppies!!!

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I would not quit yet - I swear I had killed this hatch and I have 2 out and one 3/4 zipped.

8. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    I'm not sure which is cuter, brand new puppies or chicks. Maybe a poll?

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:don't think a poll is cute as a puppy or chick... [​IMG]

10. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Ya know, I actually suggested the feed store and buying some chicks to put in their. Mostly because the teacher's husband is laughing about how she screwed up and I thought it was a good way to get him to shut up [​IMG]

OK so maybe I won't give up hope yet. They should hatch Friday, only a couple days away but they are still in the bator so I'll tell her to leave them alone for now.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by