feel like such a jerk

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by afj6710, Jun 24, 2011.

1. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    We lost our first baby last night. [​IMG] and it's completely my fault.

DH and I went to the coop last night to check on the chicks and take them some treats. Our friendlier babies were sitting up on a roost and I was feeding them figs, grapes, and apples by hand. Well, one of my chicks seemed disinterested and turned away from me so I got too pushy and tried to get the fruit right in her face. When I did that, the other chicks started climbing all over her to get to the food and knocked her off the roost. She didn't "like" me so I was always trying to get her to see that I'm not so bad. Apparently, when she fell, she hit some loose chicken wire or something and it ripped open her torso. DH had to "take care of it" so she wouldn't suffer. Her name was Marsala. And, I feel like the world's biggest jerk - if I hadn't been so determined to get her to take a treat, this wouldn't have happened.

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    [​IMG] We all make mistakes and we learn from them. Don't be too hard on yourself.

3. CacklingCarolyn

CacklingCarolyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Louisville, Ky.
    I'm so sorry for your loss but don't beat yourself up over it. You didn't mean to hurt it. [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I know you are going to beat yourself up anyway, but it as just a freak accident. It is not as much your fault as you think it is.

I suggest you try to find what she hit that injured her and take care of it. These accidents happen but maybe you can prevent a future accident.

5. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Totally not your fault! Freak things happen sometimes and you can't blame yourself. I've lost more than my fair share of chicks because of my dog, so I feel ya! We can only move forward and do our best for the next time around.

6. Athenzchick

Athenzchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Athens Ohio
    If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one. Last week I needed to expand the brooder for my chicks. I set up a dog crate in the yard as temporary housing and put one chick in it. By the time I came back with the second chick, first chick was gone. It never occurred to me that they could slip through the wire mesh of the cage. Well, my cat was outside and...By the time we found her under the truck she was gone. I'm still kicking my self for not watching for a minute or two to make sure she'd stay put.

7. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Quote:Definitely. DH promised to go all around the coop and check every bit of the chicken wire. we would have done it last night if it wasn't getting so dark.

Thank y'all so much for your kind words. I didn't mean for it to be such a "poor me, lets have a pity party" post - I just can't believe this happened the way it did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by