Feel sad....... Had to cull a newborn Silkie chick ... : (

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickenzoo, Jan 10, 2010.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I feel really sad that I had to cull a very cute newborn red Silkie chick this morning. When i picked him up from the brooder his intestines were outside of him and he had already ripped open a spot. Dang it!
    I have saved others with no rip and only slightly out, but I knew he would only suffer...... still stinks. The poor little thing, gone through all that trouble to hatch and then die. [​IMG]

2. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Just rememeber you did the right thing for the poor little one.

3. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I'm so sorry. It's the hardest part about hatching chicks.

4. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I had to do that with a silkie chick my last hatch. I cried and cried, I felt SO bad!......something about little silkie chicks that tear at my heart (This is coming from a girl that raises her own meat so I'm used to killing and cleaning, etc.). Sorry for your loss, and that you had to go through that. [​IMG]

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    That rots-I had to do it too but to 2-3 of them after I got done nursing them for weeks.. You did the right thing... [​IMG]

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I am soo sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

I would have done the same...
    sometimes there is no saving them.....
    it is a hard fact we sometimes have to face, when raising anything.

[​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] It was not little one's time to be with you. You did the right thing for the baby.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    sooner is better than later. No one likes to do it but anyone who hatches much has too sooner or later. [​IMG] Sorry, It's very tough to do. Especially the silkies, for some reason.

9. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Awwwww, sorry to hear. Been there.

10. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Awww, so sorry. I know how hard I cried when I had one whose stomach didnt seem to be closed. I really cried. Then, shortly after, I knocked a shelf into the brooder, and it landed on an instantly killed another chick. ( I was lucky it only got 1). That started me bawling. It's a stinky part of being a chickie mom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by