Feel Terrible!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EmAbTo48, Feb 9, 2012.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Today, I thought I would try intergrating my mother silkie with her one 5 week old chick (the only egg out of 4 that made it) to see how it would go... well it went terrible first off she left the chick in the coop, and never came back I waited for about a 1 hour to see what she would do. NOPE nothing she just left the poor thing screaming its head off, and even left it to fend off the older hens, which some were great with it even my Roo was great! But I had 2 girls that were just nasty to it!

Well my silkie I left with the rest of the flock since she obviously thought her motherly duties were over... and I have this poor chick screaming in the house alone!!!! AAAHHH!!!!!

I think I might go get 2 more chicks from a guy that's selling them of course they are only about a week old... So I am not sure how that will go with a 5 week old chick. I just don't want to try intergrating it all by itself I think having some buddies would be nice!

I just feel terrible for this chick :(

Is this normal for a mother hen to just take off???!!!!!! Or should I just consider her a good broody and not a good mother?

Here's a picture of the little guy, I am thinking its a he because the way he stands and his super LARGE legs.. But it is a mix so I could be wrong...

He sure has weird coloring so far!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    1st that looks like a pullet to me. Are you sure he's a he?

2nd had you taken out both mother and baby and put them both back in at once?

3rd I would put a stuffed animal in with him/her until (s)he's feathered out. (s)he'll be able to go outside in a week or two, [probably 1 based off of the pic] not really enough time to make it worth getting more chicks.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    5 weeks old is a bit old to try that with. I think a week or 10 days might be the max I'd try it.

4. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    No I am not 100% sure on sex it was easier to tell with my other chicks last year but they weren't a mixed breed.

I had put mom and chick out together, kept sticking mom back with chick and she continued to leave it. She/he whatever it is will be staying in till fully feathered out. I had planned to get the chicks before and think intergrating this chick with a few others will be less dramatizing and the flock wont all gang up on just the one new chick.

Just wish it had some siblings sucks none of the other eggs hatched out! And I am very disapointed in my hen :(

I am still getting the chicks since I have wanted gold and colombian wyandottes for a while now.

Do you think once the new chicks get to 5 weeks they could be with this older chick????

5. Daddas1Punkin

Daddas1Punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    AW! I think you need to find some chicks that are a little older for him to buddy with... good luck! [​IMG]

6. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    There's not a way to tell except to try it. If your little guy/girl rejects them then I guess he's not too lonely... It's worth a shot. :)
    You might want to try putting them in at night when it's really dark.
    Someone suggested putting in new chicks when it's dark, then turning the light on and make really loud noises to make them nervous. Being flock animals they will flee danger together and they may not mind the newcomers as much if they immediately feel safe with them.
    I haven't tried it, but the theory sounds good. :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  7. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin

I know! Just around here there are none :( all I have found are chicks that are hatching this month! I think I am going to give a stuffed animal get the chicks and once they are a month old I am putting them all together. Last year I had day olds with a 2 month old hen and nothing happened they still live peaceful!

8. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Someone also suggested using a mirror but I'm not sure how that would work with him/her being as old as he is.

How is (s)he today?

9. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin

The chick appears pretty lonely its in our guest bedroom and I have been spending at least 30 mintues with it morning and night, it loves my 13 month old who sits at the cage and just talks gibberish to it :) he comes right up to her and chirps back. I am by the end of the month getting 6 chicks ranging to a week old to 2 weeks. So I am going to put he/she with them and if the chick takes to them then all will be good! and if not gues it will feather out and get at least a bit bigger and she/he will be intergrated on its own!

Also now that i look at the chick more and I can see more a pullet I sure would be happy if this was the case!

10. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I'm glad to hear it will be getting buddies soon. :) In the meantime a baby will suffice. =P

The reason I say pullet is because of it's comb. At 5 weeks, if it were a rooster it should be much bigger and turning much brighter. That's not always true, but it's a good rule of thumb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by