feeling a bit frustrated this morning.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RobinEgg, Jun 17, 2008.

1. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    I know when attempting to raise hatchery chicks you can expect losses, but I'm feeling a bit frustrated. My last order of 73 are now 10 wks old I've had 3 losses, my new order I received last fri, of 52, I have now lost 3 and another is acting droopy this morn. I've explained to my son that they've been through alot of stress since they hatched and now that they are settled with us (of course receiving lots of attention) they are beginning to get their little feathers( more stress). He understands this (mom I'm not a baby) just wish I could.

2. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    This sounds terribly detached, and I don't mean it to be (I cry why when I lose any of my babies), but your loss rate is less than 5 percent (4.8). I thought I did well my first time when I lost one of 6, which worked out to a 16% loss rate. Compared to me, you're a super mommy to your chicks!!!

Out of curiosity, is there any kind of consensus on loss rate of young chicks?

3. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    yea I've read before the loss rate but at the moment can't remember what it is, I'm sure that I'm still below the expected rate for some reason I'm thinking it's around 20% . I just hate to loose any of them. They aren't really my pets they are indeed livestock, but when you have them in the family room in their brooder they feel more like pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by