Feeling a bit vengeful - okay to feed to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stinkyshermy, Aug 19, 2016.

1. stinkyshermy

stinkyshermy Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    San Diego
    [​IMG]A worm tore into my just ripened tomato, and the garden community decided to move on in and help him out.

I am not feeling all that forgiving, and was planning to give this (and the Beatle hitchhikers still feasting) to my chickens.

Said tomato is okay to give right? Up until now I have only given scraps of food *I* would eat.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh yeah, chickens love bugs! Give it to them. If they've never seen it before, they may take a minute, but they will feast! I often turn over a shovel of dirt for the chickens to feast on bugs. I raise meal worms which come from darkling beetles and they feast on all life stages. In fact, if I have the shovel in my hand, good luck getting anything done around the flock.

3. stinkyshermy

stinkyshermy Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    San Diego

Awesome! Thanks. Bugs I am good on - my three year old found a spider in our house yesterday and suggested we feed it to our chickie-doodles :sigh:/

The slightly rotted out tomato was my worry....but they could work the compost...so I don't know why I stressed out.

You sound like you have some happy chicks!

4. EggSighted4Life

I see you're way down there in "daygo" as we call it. Tried moving there for a while, but ended up at the other end of CA coast by the Oregon border.

Maybe the 3 year old can grab the spider and feed it out! [​IMG]

Thank you, the chickens do seem pretty happy. And I am happy watching them (most of the time).

I always wonder what stage is too far to feed out and kinda only feed it if its like too dried out not rotted. But it's true they turn compost like nobodies business. Not to mention they dig through goat and cow poo looking for bugs. [​IMG]

Can't help but wonder who Stinkyshermy is, sounds like a story! [​IMG]

Nice to meet you, best wishes!

5. rusticpumpkins

rusticpumpkins Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    GA, USA
    It'd be fine to give them that. I'm sure they'll love it! I give my birds old bread that is stale or smelling funny, over ripened fruit, veg, meat and milk thats about to spoil. Chickens can handle eating just about anything. Even the gross stuff we wont eat or would get sick off of. They're also pretty smart and won't eat anything thats bad for them. :)

6. EggSighted4Life

Ok, well the do eat styrofoam. Guess I've never heard of a chicken dying from it though. They also dig through cow and goat poo and eat whatever they find. They love to clean out my goat barn. They seem to avoid the dog poo though.

I have seen them eat thing I KNOW are toxic. The key is not to have them confined WITH the toxic stuff. They keep moving and don't focus on it too much. But confinement can change all that.

7. rusticpumpkins

rusticpumpkins Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    GA, USA
    I never really heard of chickens eating styrofoam! Lol But yes, confinment is when they get bored and get into things they don't need to. I feel like that applies to all animals too. Its like bordom out weighs they're judgement.

8. EggSighted4Life

Many have insulated their coops to find this out.

Definitely true for people and kids as well (in case we weren't in that animal group). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by