Feeling a little thin

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coffeenutdesign, Jan 2, 2013.

1. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    I picked up one of my girls today to put her in the yard after she got separated from the others and noticed she felt a bit thin. They get free feed layer pellets and I throw a little scratch in the pen in the evenings to make sure they are all in the coop before I lock them up. They free range during the day which is slim pickin's this time of year, but have free access to the coop and the feed. I went ahead and gave them all a dose of dewormer today, but their poop looks fine and they act healthy. Is there any extra feed I should consider giving to put some more weight on her? They are golden sex links and I am getting 5-6 eggs daily from 7 hens. Sometimes I do get all 7, so I know they are all laying. The shells are fine. Not sure what else to do about the weight. I don't want them to be thin when the weather gets really cold. I am in west TX, so it hasn't been very cold yet, but we are supposed to get some colder temps in the next couple of days, but our coldest part of the year hasn't hit yet. Any suggestions?

2. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Add some BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) or some cracked corn to their ration daily. I'd mix it with the scratch you feed otherwise they'll make a mess picking and scratching it out of the lay pellets.

3. coffeenutdesign

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    I should say there is a chance they are eating some of the dog's food while they are free ranging, if that might have something to do with it.

4. coffeenutdesign

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    Where would I get BOSS? Does TSC have it?

5. mmktdox

mmktdox Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes TSC should have it. I'm sure all feed stores would carry it too.

6. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    My birds - chickens and doves - love unsalted peanuts as treats.

They are full of protein, oils and fats.

If I have an underweight bird, or one that is molting a lot, I will give them a few peanuts each day. Seems to really help them.

7. coffeenutdesign

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    Thx. I'll try some peanuts and/or BOSS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by