Feeling confused about scraps and eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sovia, Aug 21, 2008.

1. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    My chickens are about 18 weeks old now. I have been feeding them Purina chick feed plus a lot of scraps from the kitchen. The scraps have been from fruits and vegetables with occasional meat/fish scraps also being added. I have never given them anything processed besides the chick feed.

I have read on this forum that fruit delays egg-laying and to limit treats. But, then again, I have also read about all those chickens that are getting scraps daily or else free-ranging as a way to reduce feed costs and also improve the quality of the eggs. What gives? When is it too much of a good thing?[​IMG]

2. Chuntgray

Chuntgray Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    I rasing chickens for the first time. I feed them chicken food ( I always have their feeder full) They free range a little and I give them scrap food. This time of year they love a nice big zuccunnie (sp) I cut it long ways in two parts they go cazy over it. My eggs are perfect strong, big,colorful and good. I also crush up the shells and feed it to them they do not eat alot of the shells. They started off laying slow. Now it's nuts. I have 9 hens that lay and I am getting 5-7 eggs everyday. Cindy

3. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sovia ~

If the hens droppings seem pretty firm and normal, then you're doing fine in the feeding department. [​IMG] I believe we worry too much about feeding our pets... all of them, not just chickens. We got a new kitten today, and went to the pet store to get food. There was a complete aisle with all types of pet food from which to choose!
    Your girls should do well with your feeding regimen.

Carla

4. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I found this forum, read everything on how much scraps to feed, not to feed fruit, that sort of stuff . . . and promptly ignored it. I think people spend alot of time over thinking a few things. Do your chickens seem healthy to you? If they do, I wouldn't worry about it.

I did do a search and found this.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

It has a nice list with links to toxic plants and whatnot, which is always good to know.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Mine have access 24/7 to their food and water. I give them treats of scratch, (oats, sunflower seeds, once in awhile bird seed, cracked corn etc.), in small quanities as these are treats. I also give them vegies, fruits, most everything that I can grow. I do grow a lot of corn and watermelon especially, also tomatoes, squash, root crops, the list can go on. I feed them everything except potatoes. I figure they will eat what they want. I do free range them. I make sure they have plenty of grit and oyster shells.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I have never had any problem with their egg laying. I switch to layer feed as soon as I got my first egg. I had a little leftover starter/grower that I mixed in with the layer and have never had a problem with their eating. I know some people just switched but I thought that mixing the last little bit would be ok and they are doing just fine.

7. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    Thanks for all your replies! I feel better and I agree that one tends to overthink things, especially when one is a newbie like myself![​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    We all had to start somewhere. that's why we're chicken geeks now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by