Feeling Frustrated- Dead Chick

Mylied

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Middle Georgia
I have been having a run of bad luck lately. This morning I found my favorite new chick (maybe 6 weeks old or so), dead in the pen. I can not figure out what she died of. There were no visible injuries, no blocked vent, she was acting fine yesterday. I don't know if I should be worried for the other chicks. There's five more in the pen. They are in a shed outside with a heat lamp, though they all have their feathers. I'm in Georgia, so it doesn't get below freezing very often and didn't last night. I'm just very confused. I had a full grown hen die in a similar mystery way several months ago. I just found her dead by the coop with no visible signs of why she died. I give them grit and chick crumbles. I was giving them the medicated crumbles at first, but ran out so switched to non medicated. Can I worm the chicks? I have wazine (I think it's called...)

Sometimes, chicks just die. I've had quail chicks get crushed in the "sleeping pile." It's heartbreaking and really NOT fun to wake up to. Unfortunately, I have no advice on the worming.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I know it's especially hard, because it always feels like it's our favorite ones. :(

If all the chicks are still running around, eating, playing, pecking, drinking, and acting normal, I'd chalk this one up to "This happens sometimes."

How old was your hen that died? Did you perform a necropsy or have her sent in for one to see what happened? I'm just wondering.

MrsB

I guess it's extra frustrating because I raised 18 chicks from tractor supply, six at a time, and never lost one. This time I ordered five online, lost one in shipping and another died a week later. Then I got six more chicks from a lady a couple weeks ago, half are looking like roos and then one I figure is a hen dies. :p Plus she was so pretty!

At only 6 weeks old I doubt worms are the problem. However that is a prime age for coccidiosis and it certainly can kill quickly. Being fed medicated feed earlier won't prevent it. I'd run a course of Corid just to make sure nobody else is brewing a case. That may not be why this chick died but I'd certainly want to be proactive about ruling it out for the others.

I ordered corid and rooster booster multi wormer. It had some good reviews. I'll give the chicks just the corid. Does it hurt to give everyone (goats & piglets) corid too, just in case? I'm worming everyone. Sick of problems. :p

Back
Top Bottom