Feeling guilty, and not sure I made the right decision

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmerWife, Dec 25, 2014.

  1. FarmerWife

    FarmerWife Chillin' With My Peeps

    167
    4
    103
    Oct 27, 2010
    For the last week one of our roo's was sick, he had a pale crest, and was very weak. I have a cage by the front door where I keep our sick chickens when we have one, this way I can keep a close watch on them. He looked like he was getting better, the color was back in his crest and he was eating, and drinking normally, but he was still not quite back to his old vibrant roudy self. Well today he started coughing up red blood and what looked like chunks of tissue, maybe from his lungs ???? Scared me to death, so I came to look it up, and everything I found pointed to laryngotracheitis, (not sure I spelled that right) and I read that it was highly contagious, and that there was no treatment. Only prevention. I knew he had to be in pain or discomfort spitting up that blood, it was dripping. I had my hubby put him down, my daughter and I are so heart broken. It's the first time we have ever put one down. I'm worried because our other chickens were around his cage, they seemed to want to visit with him. I read they should not even share the same air space, and that really scares me. Did I make the right choice? I feel so terrible, I loved that roo. I cleaned the entire area and scrubbed down everything with bleach and water, and have started the whole flock on antibiotics. Am I doing the right thing? Did I have my beautiful roo put down for nothing? I just kept thinking one or all. The thought of losing them all is terrible. What do you think? Should I have waited?

    Blessings,
    Dianna
     
  2. Eggcessive

    Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

    28,998
    2,996
    471
    Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Can you retrieve his body, refrigerate it, and send it off for a necropsy by the state vet? It's probably not the best time with the holidays, but if you call first thing in the morning, it may be possible especially if you drive the body in versus shipping it. Even though ILT can cause sneezing and coughing of bloody mucus, he should have been having a lot of gasping and sticking his neck way out to breathe. I'm not saying he didn't have ILT because I have never seen it, but I would think there could be other explanations for coughing up blood and tissue. Here is a link for your state vet: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf
     
  3. enola

    enola Overrun With Chickens

    As long as you did what you thought was best, you did the right thing. We have all had to make decisions like this. It is natural for you to second guess your decision. I cannot stand to see an animal suffer...
     
  4. dawg53

    dawg53 Humble

    23,342
    1,204
    448
    Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Dont second guess yourself, you did the right thing. I suspect it might be ILT and I wouldve culled him in a heartbeat. Observe your other birds for ILT symptoms, that's about all you can do for now and hope for the best.
     
  5. Eggcessive

    Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

    28,998
    2,996
    471
    Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  6. FarmerWife

    FarmerWife Chillin' With My Peeps

    167
    4
    103
    Oct 27, 2010
    Hubby buried him off the property immediately. He wasn't gasping like he was suffocating, but he had heavy mucous, and did appear to be having breathing problems. He had blood all over his feet, and everywhere he walked in the cage, and dripping from his beak. He looked a little better, but kept hunching over to sleep. Much of the time his mouth was open, and I had to clean out thick gummy mucous to help him breathe easier. You could tell he didn't feel well, this roo was normally loud and boisterous, he crowed all the time, and was the ruler of the roost. He was nothing like himself. I knew he felt bad. But when I read that, and that it could wipe out the entire flock, I thought maybe it might be best to stop his suffering, and keep the rest from getting what ever it was that he had. I'm not sure I made the right call, I feel terrible about it. I just didn't see any other way when I knew he was hurting.

    Dianna
     
  7. FarmerWife

    FarmerWife Chillin' With My Peeps

    167
    4
    103
    Oct 27, 2010
    Quote:I don't think I could stomach doing a necropsy myself, but bloody mucous and whitish tissue was what he was coughing up, besides the blood that was just dripping from his beak. I just didn't want to take that risk and lose them all. What I read said that prevention when one has been sick is the only course, so I put them all on antibiotic, especially those that were there visiting with him. They were not inside the cage, but sat there outside his cage. He was coughing, so I don't know if it's going to spread, I won't take a chance like that, so I'll treat all of them and just throw away the eggs. I wish we had a vet out here that could come down and check them, we have no vet who see's chickens. I have to do it myself, and everything I learn, is from here at BYC. I'm not exactly a veteran, so I come here for advice and input. So what would all of you be doing in my situation, am I missing anything I should be doing?
     
  8. FarmerWife

    FarmerWife Chillin' With My Peeps

    167
    4
    103
    Oct 27, 2010
    Me neither Enola, it broke my heart to make that decision, but it would have been far worse to watch him suffer and die in pain.
     
  9. FarmerWife

    FarmerWife Chillin' With My Peeps

    167
    4
    103
    Oct 27, 2010
    Thank you, I'll most definitely be watching like a hawk. I don't want to lose any more chickens.

    Blessings,
    Dianna
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by