Feeling like suzy homemaker today.. & its freakin' me out!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Momagain1, May 13, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    ok; should say lately!

I've been a canning fool! I've canned barbecue black beans, chicken broth & beef broth...
    Barbecue beans- 16 pints
    chicken broth -- 10 quarts & 6 pints
    beef broth -- 6 quarts & 12 pints

my family (extended) thinks I am nutty for doing it..but it is so rewarding afterwards to hear
    the "pink" of the lids sealing knowing that I've done a good job!

not to mention; I made a TON of beef broth for under $12 when beef broth is about $1.25 a can here for 14 ounces generic
    and name brand $1.50+ ...

I dont count the jars/rings as they are reused over many many many years! the upfront cost of course is a bit; but
    when you even them out over 15 years or more..its nothing..

anyway...this nutty mom, who owns her own business at home, has lost 60 lbs over the last 2 years by cooking more & better foods,
    homeschools her 13 yr old boy, has 2 more small girls at home,
    has a hubby who works 77 hrs in one week and is unavailable, has a large garden, 31 chickens...who NEVER wanted or desired
    or even til last yr THOUGHT about chickens lol or a "farm" type life...has gotten all homemaker on me..I'm not sure who I am anymore!!

Its kinda freakin' me out!! I even had a BRUNCH this wk catered by me for a couple ladies from church this wk... SOMEONE SHOOT ME..

I need to go back and find myself...I'm not sure where I lost the old me and came up w/the new one...she's sooo different...it makes me
    uncomfortable lol..

2. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I will trade you!! I work and hate it. Hoping within a couple weeks that will change. The kids get out of school in two weeks and I have nowhere for them to go and can't afford daycare! Really crunching numbers and hoping we can make it work. I would love to be a stay at home mom! I have plans to do some canning with a friend once our gardens are harvested. I used to do it years ago and haven't lately because I am too afraid to do it alone. Not that hubby wouldn't help but he hasn't ever done it before. Would prefer to do it with someone that has done it before. I am such a woosy!! Also thinking of raising some meat birds and such to cut the cost of groceries. Went to the grocery store the other day and about died. $8.00 for a block of Velveeta!!!! It used to be $4.39!! Good luck with finding your old self! It sounds like you are pretty happy with the new you so I don't know if the old you will want to come back!

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I love to can. I made so many pickles last year, we still have more than we can eat. LOL Try canning tomatoes with whatever vegetables you have ready from the garden. It makes the best soup base, just add meat and you're done! Congratulations on turning your life around!

4. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    I've never canned...but I been pickled a few times?

You sound you lead a full, and exciting life with your
    family. How wonderful that is.

5. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    From one suzi homemaker to another... enjoy it [​IMG]

I used to work 2 jobs and not even have time to stop and eat... I LOVE my new life [​IMG] Being able to stay home and raise my son, cook and clean for my family, raise my chickens, keep my garden.. all such wonderful blessing that not everyone else can say they have.. makes me feel special [​IMG]

6. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    oh yeah; I canned last yr; but this year I stepped it up already by pressure canning w/meat stocks...

I made this past year:

9 - 1/2 pints of Sweet/Spicy Thai Dipping sauce

PINTS:
    8 of Sweet pickled banana peppers
    24 medium salsa
    12 mild salsa
    7 Cinnamon Red-Hot applesauce
    7 pints corn relish
    4 pints of "Jaridiniere" (SPELLED wrong I know sorry)
    27 of tomato sauce
    3 of soup base (tomato sauce with peppers/onions)
    9 1/2 pt of Chx wing sauce
    9 1/2 pts of peach butter
    4 1/2 pints of candied jalapenos
    8 pints of cinnamon apple wedges
    3 pints of applesauce
    6 1/2 pints of spiced honey (for teas yummmyy)
    3 1/2 pints of pecal praline syrup

I have recipes for the candied jalapenos (divine!), crunch onion rings (PERFECT a fave!) and the Thai dipping sauce!! well; I can link you if you want! The lady is AMAZING
    and is a canning fool!!

anyway; thats the tally from what i did last year I had tallied on her FB page!

7. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    I did some jelly canning last fall [​IMG] LOVE HOMEMADE JELLY.. blueberry, strawberry, peach, and pear [​IMG]

8. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    most of my stuff comes from my garden; except ANY fruits; I cannot get them to grow at ALL!! ugh...

and corn..we live in flippin' cornland and I'd rather buy them when they are 5/$1 lol instead of trying to deal with fighting
    the darn deer off!

9. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I envy you. We don't do much canning any more. The last thing we did was plum jelly and that was years ago. We still have about 50 quart jars of green beans. I hope those never run out because I love them.

10. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] Great job! I never learned to can when I was younger; my grandmother whom did all the canning in my family died before she taught me. I do have a recipe book and tried my hand at it last year - I made a bunch of relish.

Since I am still learning I decided to stick to things that can be water-bathed to seal and stick to freezing the meats and brothes. I am excited for this year! I want to make my own spaghetti sauce, pickles (I am thinking dilly-beans - string beans pickled with dill), more relishes, apple sauces and maybe some jelly! I have a ton of Blueberries, blackberries and rasberries! I am looking at getting some strawberries too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by