Feeling Nervous...Cochin Roos or Pullets?

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
My bantam cochin chicks are 4 weeks old now and are finally starting their growth spurt. They've been very slow to grow and one of them is still refusing to grow/feather out.

Anyway, I woke up to new combs and it's freaking me out! Is it still too early to assume they're all boys or am I pretty much doomed? Combs are all yellowy-pink, no red from what I can see. The pics are a little washed out. Here are the babies in question.

#1 who I'm PRAYING is a girl...but it sprouted a comb overnight and now I'm nervous
sad.png

DSCN2566.jpg

colors got washed out, but if you look carefully you'll see the comb and developing wattles
DSCN2568.jpg

DSCN2583.jpg

#2 who I think is a boy...but I'll probably keep him anyway because he'd be my first frizzle!
DSCN2570.jpg

lil' wattles
DSCN2571.jpg

DSCN2586.jpg

#3 another I just have been calling a boy
DSCN2574.jpg

DSCN2575.jpg

DSCN2584.jpg

#4 Midge the runt. yes she's 4 weeks old, haha
DSCN2577.jpg

DSCN2578.jpg

#5 This baby got a comb at 2 weeks old, but still no red
DSCN2579.jpg

DSCN2580.jpg

#6 the last one, who is unfortunately a cross-beak cull, is the one that makes me nervous. No comb or wattles yet...does that mean everyone else is a boy?!
DSCN2581.jpg

DSCN2582.jpg

For comparison, my Bantam Cochin was an obvious boy by 4 weeks. Bright red comb and wattles.

Cloudy at 4 weeks:

95623_cloudy1.jpg

95623_cloudy2.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow thanks! I'll have to give my chicks another week I guess since they're a little behind in development. Fingers crossed that those combs don't get any redder!
tongue.png

Good luck!! Yours look like pullets to me although #5 is a little suspect. With mine, I actually knew at 2 weeks that he was a boy because his comb was already red by then.

Last edited:
Quote:
Now THAT is interesting! These eggs came from a millie cochin breeding project and I didn't consider the possibility of different combs. Now I feel a bit better, I'll have to sit on my hands for another week or two!

@ kharmel: Wow! That is very red.
We have a 7 wk old gold-laced bantam cochin whose got a large-ish comb w/ some wattle, but it's not red (more of a yellowish salmon.)
I don't know what that means, if anything, I posted a question about that on this topic. I let you know what I hear.
When I'm allowed I'll post pictures if it's still a mystery.

I'm thinking your frizzle is a girl, lovely bird
smile.png
not too sure on the others but think you have a couple of other pullets amongst them so not all roos
tongue.png

please don't cull your crossbeaked chick!
we have two, one of them is over a year old (her name is BentBeak, but sometimes we call her CrazyFace) and she does fine eating, just a little smaller than the rest of the hens. the other one is Bruce, she is about 9 or 10 weeks old, and nowhere near as crazy looking as BentBeak, but also gets along just fine. she is a very happy little girl!

as for if your chicks are roos or pullets....i'm no help in that area either! i can't tell any of mine apart, and figure i'll wait till they either lay eggs or start crowing!

Back
Top Bottom