Feeling Nervous...Cochin Roos or Pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hokankai, Jun 11, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    My bantam cochin chicks are 4 weeks old now and are finally starting their growth spurt. They've been very slow to grow and one of them is still refusing to grow/feather out.

Anyway, I woke up to new combs and it's freaking me out! Is it still too early to assume they're all boys or am I pretty much doomed? Combs are all yellowy-pink, no red from what I can see. The pics are a little washed out. Here are the babies in question.

#1 who I'm PRAYING is a girl...but it sprouted a comb overnight and now I'm nervous [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    colors got washed out, but if you look carefully you'll see the comb and developing wattles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 who I think is a boy...but I'll probably keep him anyway because he'd be my first frizzle!
    [​IMG]
    lil' wattles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 another I just have been calling a boy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4 Midge the runt. yes she's 4 weeks old, haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#5 This baby got a comb at 2 weeks old, but still no red
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#6 the last one, who is unfortunately a cross-beak cull, is the one that makes me nervous. No comb or wattles yet...does that mean everyone else is a boy?!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kharmel2

kharmel2 New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    For comparison, my Bantam Cochin was an obvious boy by 4 weeks. Bright red comb and wattles.

Cloudy at 4 weeks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  3. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Quote:Wow thanks! I'll have to give my chicks another week I guess since they're a little behind in development. Fingers crossed that those combs don't get any redder! [​IMG]

4. kharmel2

kharmel2 New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Good luck!! Yours look like pullets to me although #5 is a little suspect. With mine, I actually knew at 2 weeks that he was a boy because his comb was already red by then.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Too early to tell,but #6 looks like she has a pea comb, which is why everyone elses looks bigger I think.

6. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Quote:Now THAT is interesting! These eggs came from a millie cochin breeding project and I didn't consider the possibility of different combs. Now I feel a bit better, I'll have to sit on my hands for another week or two!

7. 6chicksinatub

6chicksinatub Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    @ kharmel: Wow! That is very red.
    We have a 7 wk old gold-laced bantam cochin whose got a large-ish comb w/ some wattle, but it's not red (more of a yellowish salmon.)
    I don't know what that means, if anything, I posted a question about that on this topic. I let you know what I hear.
    When I'm allowed I'll post pictures if it's still a mystery.

8. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    I'm thinking your frizzle is a girl, lovely bird [​IMG] not too sure on the others but think you have a couple of other pullets amongst them so not all roos [​IMG]

9. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    OOH they are so cute, what ever they are. I kept my extra cochin roos in a bachelor coop with a couple of Buff Orp roos who were raised with them and they are great.

10. winnerwinnerchickendinner

winnerwinnerchickendinner New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    please don't cull your crossbeaked chick!
    we have two, one of them is over a year old (her name is BentBeak, but sometimes we call her CrazyFace) and she does fine eating, just a little smaller than the rest of the hens. the other one is Bruce, she is about 9 or 10 weeks old, and nowhere near as crazy looking as BentBeak, but also gets along just fine. she is a very happy little girl!

as for if your chicks are roos or pullets....i'm no help in that area either! i can't tell any of mine apart, and figure i'll wait till they either lay eggs or start crowing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by