Feeling nervous - duck eggs

Mylied

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Middle Georgia
I have some duck eggs in the incubator. So far, I've only successfully hatched one duckling before. They've died in the process usually near the end or after internally pipping. Sometimes they've made it to external pipping. I've tried to correct my incubating errors. Now I have two with internal pips, one since yesterday afternoon. (I had a chick hatch in the incubator and had rescued started duck eggs from my hen, so didn't have dates). It still hasn't externally pipped. I really don't want to loose more. Tell me to sit on my hands and they'll be fine. Humidity is up good. Should I lower the temp a degree? I've read that helps with ducks.

*It was actually around 9pm last night the chick hatched and I saw the internal pip. I double checked.

If it will calm your nerves you can put a safety hole in. I would, it won't harm it.

I have some duck eggs in the incubator. So far, I've only successfully hatched one duckling before. They've died in the process usually near the end or after internally pipping. Sometimes they've made it to external pipping. I've tried to correct my incubating errors. Now I have two with internal pips, one since yesterday afternoon. (I had a chick hatch in the incubator and had rescued started duck eggs from my hen, so didn't have dates). It still hasn't externally pipped. I really don't want to loose more. Tell me to sit on my hands and they'll be fine. Humidity is up good. Should I lower the temp a degree? I've read that helps with ducks.

*It was actually around 9pm last night the chick hatched and I saw the internal pip. I double checked.

I wouldn't do anything more than just wait for them to hatch by themselves. The incubation period is x amount of days, if during this time something went wrong and the conditions were not optimal (ie: fluctuation temperatures, etc) then you wont have a great hatch regardless what you do on your last day. What I'm trying to say is that for the most part what is done is done now. If the incubation period was good they will hatch by themselves without help.

If you help them pipping or make holes for the air, probably it would do more harm then good and if they are not strong wont survive anyways.

So my advise is to be patient, let nature do its course and learn for the next hatch.

There's an external pip on another egg this morning. I did do a little hole on the first. Still doesn't appear to have external pip. :(

We’re in the same boat. I’ve got duck eggs and am trying to sit on my hands. One has externally pipped as of this morning (day 29). It’s so hard to be patient!

One's out. A few more to go.
6716.jpg

Congrats!!! She’s adorable!!!! Did you have to assist the hatch? How long from first external pip to hatch?
This one took about 24 hrs from external pip to hatch. I helped just a little. The first one I posted about still has veins and it's been like 3 days from when I noticed the internal pip. It never externally pipped. I pipped it for it yesterday and it's not positioned good. But I'm determined these ones will live dang it. Yeah, I'm terrible at hands off.

That’s pretty quick! I’m the same. I’m trying another batch again determined to increase my hatch rate! Hoping and praying this one hatched quickly as were on vacation and driving with an incubator in the truck was less than ideal.

Back
Top Bottom