feeling overwelmed & groosed out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happyhens4me, Sep 25, 2016.

1. happyhens4me

happyhens4me Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2015
    noticed lil moving rice like things in poop today. Just 1 pile, Looked up info, looks like tapeworm, eeewww we have been eating"sunny side up eggs" !!! Is there a chance we now have worms? Im so overwhelmed by all the info on the dewormers. Went to rural king, they shooed me away from the wazine because it wasnt for egg layers for human consumption. Can anyone help me?PLZZZ!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Yup, that sounds like tapeworm. Tapeworms are host specific, so unless you're secretly a chicken, they won't hurt you. However, the chicken will need to be treated. Although Wazine can be used in laying hens, it kills only roundworms. For tapeworms you need Praziquantrel. Given in paste form, you should give each standard sized hen an amount the size of a small pea. You should avoid eating eggs or meat from treated birds for 1-2 weeks after treatment.

3. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Is it just one chicken that has it or more?

4. happyhens4me

Jun 25, 2015
    i only seen in 1 pile but dont know which 1. what brand name of meds & where do i get it? thank yall sooo much for info

5. happyhens4me

Jun 25, 2015
    do i throw away the eggs ive been collecting the last couple days? some1 gave me a silver polish, how much should i give her?thank you!!

6. QueenMisha

The brand name is "Equimax." It's a horse worming paste and can be found at many farm supply stores.

Polish are on the small side - I'd give an amount about 1/2 the size of a pea. For regular 5+/- pound hens, I'd give an amount 1/2-3/4 the size of a pea.

7. happyhens4me

Jun 25, 2015
    thank you!!!!! I appreciate it!

8. happyhens4me

Jun 25, 2015
    oo and how many times/days do i dose them? how often? on back of neck, right? TIA

9. QueenMisha

No, it's given orally. You should only need to do it once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by