Feeling real guilty, anxious now too, so ???s

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Aug 19, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My SO said I was nuts, but I just knew I was going to get my very first egg today, just by the way one of the hens was acting. I've been keeping an eye on her all day. Sure enough, I leave her alone for five minutes and came back to find the first egg! The hen was just standing up over it to inspect it. I snatched it right away without thinking. Now I feel guilty for taking it from her so fast and anxious too. Did I make a mistake taking it right away? Will this discourage her from laying in the same spot again?
    Oh, and can anyone tell me how to blow out an egg? I'd sure like to keep it if I can.
    P.S. The hen was amazingly calm while she was laying it and when I took it. I set the egg aside and picked her up and set her back down in front of the feeder. She went to eating like nothing had happened.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks for the link Miss Prissy. I guess I feel guilty because my SO said maybe I should have let her have it for a little while. [​IMG]
    I'm also anxious that I may have discouraged her from laying in the same spot.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    She doesn't need it for any reason. Most hens lay their egg and jump out of the nest and go about their business. Don't put human emotions on those hens and their eggs. Chickens are raptors. She would probably prefer to eat that egg if she got chance.

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Congratulations on your first egg!! [​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks Mrs! [​IMG] I can't get over how tiny and perfect it is.
    I think I'll get over my guilt by letting the same hen hatch a clutch in the spring...if she's willing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by