Feeling Sad.. am I doing the right thing?

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hi everyone! So today I have decided to rehome my cockerel. I wasn’t planning on a cockerel but got the 10%. 😩 He is a good boy but at 15 weeks starting to peck the girls and to be honest it just isn’t for me. I don’t want baby chicks, fertilized eggs and just don’t know if I even want to watch the mating! Lol! My good friend down the street has a large flock (20-25 hens) and she said she would take him. She does however have a “chill” rooster already. I feel so sad having to give him away and worry about how he will feel once gone. I also worry about my current girls.. they are attached to him! Will they be confused or sad? I’m guessing everyone will adjust? I k ow this may seem silly... help!

What a great solution! Your friend has more than enough hens to support a second rooster and your cockerel will learn the ropes from an experienced ... well-mannered ... rooster. Your girls won't miss him - and if YOU do, he's right down the street. Just don't expect him to come running when you visit Being a harem-master's apprentice is a great deal of responsibility, which he is liable to take VERY seriously!

Sounds like a good deal for all the chickens; He gets a harem of hens instead of becoming KFC and you and your girls get a life of luxury not dealing with all that testosterone! 🙌

You should be elated for him not sad and the hens won't even be phased that he's gone other than not being pecked and pushed around by him.
Awwww thank you! That’s a positive way to look at it! Honestly true too... he will have so many girls to choose from! I hope he and the other rooster can get along!

What a great solution! Your friend has more than enough hens to support a second rooster and your cockerel will learn the ropes from an experienced ... well-mannered ... rooster. Your girls won't miss him - and if YOU do, he's right down the street. Just don't expect him to come running when you visit Being a harem-master's apprentice is a great deal of responsibility, which he is liable to take VERY seriously!
Awwww thank you! You all are so wonderful! I feel better already! I just love the big guy!

Your hens will likely have a party after he’s gone. I had to separate my rooster from the ladies. He is a nice chicken, not mean at all but a rough lover. So he has his own bachelor pad where he can interact but not touch the girls.
🤣🤣 hen party! The rooster thing just wasn’t for me. I think I’ll pass him along this weekend! ❤️🐔

Hahaha this is awesome 🤣🐔🥰

Back
Top Bottom