Feeling sad because I gave an aggressive rooster away!

SchellyMc

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
Odessa, Mo.
Hello, my name is Schelly. I have had 8 chickens up until today when I gave an aggressive rooster to a friend who is taking him and 5 of his roosters to sell. I grew up a city girl so the idea that some animals are food and not pets is new to me. I have had a rough afternoon feeling guilty. Silly rooster even bit the crap outta my leg this morning! And here I am shedding tears. Any how, am I the only silly girl out there who has shed a few tears? I haven't been on here for very long but this seems like a wonderful way to find information and support!

I was/am struggling with maybe giving my roo away...he doesn't have the best attitude!!! Just thunk that you gave him a better life then he would if he would have been born in a factory! Even if it is "short" or not pet-quality.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You're not alone, roos tend to be the most personable when younger, it is hard not to get attached to the darn things. Especially if you raised them from little fluffy chicks, even if they turn into nasty little sob's, well, they were cute once.

Hello Schelly
welcome-byc.gif
nice to have you here with us
frow.gif

One of the biggest problems people have on here is aggressive roosters - that either end up in the soup pot or given to someone else . There are way too many GOOD roosters given away because people aren't allowed to have them. There really is no reason to keep an aggressive rooster who may eventually hurt someone badly or be killed trying.

images

Yes, Roosters can be brutal. You are not alone. No one needs a mean bird in the flock.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

I had to give my 1st and only rooster away. He was my favorite from day one I carried him around, he would sleep in my lap and I loved him. the problem was he didn't like anyone else, and I was afraid he would hurt my kids so he had to go.

Hi, Schelly, welcome to BYC. Sorry about that rooster, but you did the right thing. Our flock is supposed to be our relaxation not our aggravation.

Back
Top Bottom