Feeling sick after getting h1n1 vacccine

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by MonkeyZero, Nov 12, 2009.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Ok

Well my mom works in a hospital and recieved a mandatory h1n1 vaccination
    Now she feels sick.
    She is achy all over, with a bad headache, and a sore throat. Are this some of the minor side effects of the vaccine?
    Anyone else who got the vaccine feel this way?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I hate it that they made it mandatory for her. I work in a hospital, and it was given as a chioce here. I took it, and had no complications. However, many people do not want to take the shot, and IMHO they should not have to. It should be 100% choice, no matter your job.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I got the injected vaccine today, no side effects. My coworkers who took the mist all were complaining about the icky taste and headaches afterwards.

Imp

4. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    They can't make it mandatory, but they can sure make it look that way. I had to sign a form stating I declined the regular flu vaccine, but not yet for the H1N1.
    Most of my coworkers who got it were fine, some a little achy, and few actually got sick. One gets Jumpy Leg Syndrome after flu shots.
    She probably knows this, but they say to treat it like any flu but rest more.
    I hope she feels better soon.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    All of those side effects sound typical of any flu vaccine. I typically get the same ones with the flumist. It's like getting a mild case of the flu. Still better than getting a full blown case. The flumist is a live vaccine, the shot is not. Hence why risk groups like pregnant women are told to get the shot. The flumist is cheaper to produce and more readily available which is why that's what they give the general public.

6. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Quote:Thanks
    She told me that the manager said to get in line to get the h1n1 vaccine.
    Some people sat around, but most co workers in that department got in line, and some people said its mandatory to get it if you dont want to get the flu... so she got in line
    So I suppose i worded wrong. Then its not really mandatory...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  7. skeeter03

skeeter03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Vernon
    "they" say you should not get any flu symptoms at all from the shots for flu.
    but people have to remember you are not immediatly immune to the flu when you get your shot it can take up to
    ten days before you are immune so chances are your mom might have had the flu in her system already before she got the shot or she got it shortly after the shot.

8. GrayDragon

GrayDragon Chillaxin

Sep 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Some people react badly to shots in general. Others convince themselves that they should suffer side effects and pick ones that mimic the disease they were getting vaccinated against. Others happen to catch a different illness around the time they get the vaccine, such as catching flu A around the time they were vaccinated against flu C, or getting a simple cold around the time they got vaccinated.

A very few actually suffer complications from the vaccines themselves.

A vaccination is a medical procedure. There is absolutely no such thing as a 100% safe medical procedure. You could choke to death on a cough drop.

The number of people refusing vaccines is starting to severely damage the herd immunity that protects those that, for various reasons, cannot get the vaccines.

9. i took it and I remember feeling HORRIBLE afterwards then I got sick with one thing after another. I was just MISERABLE!

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Did she read the fact sheet? It lists all of those as possible side effects of the vaccine. Hopefully she's feeling better now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by