Feeling Stupid- Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mullers3acers, Oct 23, 2008.

1. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    My dh and I have been racking our brain to what we have been doing wrong. During the summer we were getting about 2 to 3 dz eggs a day. Added 18 more laying hens and now they are laying but the others are not. So we went from 2 to 3 dz to a dz a day. We give them cracked corn; laying crumbles; and oyster shell. Had to go to the farm supply today and asked the owner and an old family friend what could be the problem and he said just like the seasons the chicken's laying eggs changes. So now I feel a little silly. [​IMG]

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG] Its ok, dont feel dumb !!!! As the days get shorter eggs get less. You could try adding a few hours of light to the coop at night !!!! They need about 14 hours a day !!!

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Mine are doing the same thing! It's been 3 weeks now with NO eggs AT ALL! On top of that, I put a light out there to give them more daylight hours, and it's NOT WORKING. The roos aren't even mating right now, hardly crowing except when they feel like it. And they're healthy as can be, running around without a care in the world, not even mildly concerned with their feed consumption and free loading. I'll bet if I butchered one and hung it by its feet with an egg tied to its neck they'd get the picture!!!

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You can definitely add light, but it's best to add it in the morning, I'm told. I am not a believer in this; I feel the fact that they slow down over winter is nature's way of giving them a break. But, lots of folks do add light with good results. I'm sure that's all thats going on with your girls! Just time for a break. Hang in there!

5. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

How old are they. sometimes pullets will lay durring the winter. Hens are the ones that usually take a molt during the winter. But this really depends on the breed.

6. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    All hens are two years and under.

7. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Quote:ok the ones over one year will probably be going into a molt.

but...

a hen is over one year of age
    and a pullet is under one year of age.

sorry I was thinking of another thing when I posted the first time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You're correct, CEF!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by